+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Very strange file problem in Technical; We have a very strange issue on our network and wondered (hoped) whether anyone else had experienced it and might ...

Thank Post

Very strange file problem

We have a very strange issue on our network and wondered (hoped) whether anyone else had experienced it and might have a fix.

Basically some of our students have saved work to their network drives by going to My Computer>U: when they then log in to another computer the file is there but the date modified is older than the one they have been working on. If they log back into the same computer it shows the correct modified date, correct file and allows them to open it and see all the contents that were there before. The strange thing is the path name is exactly the same and if you go directly onto the server it shows the old one. Obviously this means that students are losing work which is a major problem.

The natural assumption is that the file is saved locally somewhere in their profile but we have checked the whole local computer and the file is nowhere to be found. Offline files is also completely disabled in services so it can't be that and folder redirection is working fine because if we create a new file it saves and shows as it should. We are using mandatory roaming profiles that are also deleted on log off so this only brings more confusion as to where it is referencing this file from. It only sees the file as a completely different one on this one machine on every other machine and the server it is all as it should be. Creating new files in their network drive also marries up properly.

I thought maybe a glitch but if you restart the machine the file is still accessible and all of its contents are visible so it's not just a reference either. Network time is OK too.

HELP!

Thank Post
    You running DFS? had something similar issue where it wasnt replicating correctly hence you could see the file on one PC but not another? and you would get an older file on the other machine?

Thank Post
    Just checked DFS is not installed.

Thank Post
    It seems to happen on files students have worked on and then gone to save as selecting the same file and renamed it with v5 or v4 on the end to symbolise what version they are working on. Could this be a bug in Word it doesn't appear that it is a network related issue but a local client problem maybe word is using a temporary store somewhere so believes the file is different to what is actually on their network drive???

Thank Post
    What does the server say with regards to date/time/file size etc.?

Thank Post
    The server shows last modified date of 19/11/2013 as does every machine a user logs onto, apart from on one machine it shows a last modified date of 25/02/2014 for the file and allows it to open. The files are clearly different and they both are saying they like on the network drive of U: but they are clearly different in size and date modified so I have no idea where it is reading it from.

Thank Post
    Has someone been messing with the drive mappings on the machine?

Thank Post
    No, no messing at all. Its extremely weird and its happened to about 4 students now too so its not even isolated to one machine. I just can't see how you can look at a drive structure on one machine and then on another its different yet reading it from the same server???

Thank Post
    I do know how such a thing is possible; DFS. But you say you don't use that.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on!

Thank Post
    Yeah its completely disabled. Its only affecting one file each time though, saving new or renaming it or even copying it again fixes the problem and everything shows up correct. I thought maybe an autorecover issue in word maybe?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread