+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Wddm video drivers in Technical; Anybody know how to stop windows from using a wddm driver. We have some older pcs which im using sccm ...
    Thank Post

Wddm video drivers

Anybody know how to stop windows from using a wddm driver. We have some older pcs which im using sccm to image. I've added the driver from amd but it doesn't get applied. Instead I get the wddm one.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Within the task sequence have you ticked the box that says "Do unattended installation of unsigned drivers on versions of Windows where this is allowed" at the bottom of the Apply Driver Step?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Yep still uses the WDDM driver.

Thank Post
    At the moment I can only think of two things, either the step in the task sequence isn't referencing the Driver at all and so is not including your driver in the search or it isn't the correct driver file.

What happens when you manually install the driver using "update Drivers" on the display device in device manager to point directly at a folder with just the main driver files that you have imported into SCCM, does it install OK?

What method are you using to set drivers within the Task Sequence the default "Auto Apply Drivers" step or have you setup "Apply Driver Package" steps with WMI to select only certain models - Check the client logs too as one of them lists the device PNP ID search and should show you what it is doing on, ie whether its finding the driver and ignoring it or not.

Thank Post
    If you manually do it. Windows says it already has the best driver. I'm doing a test with the setting changed in the the task sequence step called auto apply drivers. I've changed it to Install all compatible drivers. Has not made a difference still getting the wddm driver. I may just have to add the ati setup as a separate package and install it. The fun part will be making sure it only installs on pcs with this card.
    Last edited by free780; 13th February 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Windows says it already has the best driver.
    Is the AMD driver getting outranked?

Driver Ranking
    One of the most common issues in deploying drivers occurs when a driver is successfully imported into the driver store but, after the system is online, Plug and Play finds a higher-ranking driver and installs that driver instead.

The Windows PnP manager ranks the following driver package properties in order of importance:

• Signing
    • Plug and Play ID match
    • Driver date
    • Driver version

For example, if a device has a better Plug and Play ID match but is unsigned, a signed driver with a compatible ID match takes precedence. In addition, a newer driver can be outranked by an older driver if the older driver has a better Plug and Play ID match or signature. (Source)

Thank Post
    One thing to try would be (if not already attempted) to disable the "Auto Apply Driver" step and create an "Apply Driver Package" step with required the driver package assigned and then target with a WMI query condition that either queries the model name or maybe the hardware ID of the device in question (Model = SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE '%Optiplex 3010%' or something like this for HW ID = select * from Win32_PNPEntity where DeviceID like '%VEN_1013&DEV_00B8%' ) this should stop the PNP ID match running and just inject the driver package, i have used this method in the past for stubborn drivers. If this still doesn't work then you can always still use that HW ID WMI condition to target the ati setup as a package.

Out of interest can you get the driver installed manually if you use the "let me pick from a list of device driverson my computer" and choose "Have Disk" option instead?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread