+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Proxy detection script in Technical; Hi all, Basically we have users that will use dongles to work from home when they are not in one ...

Thank Post

Proxy detection script

Hi all,
    Basically we have users that will use dongles to work from home when they are not in one of our offices. We need the proxy settings to be disabled when they are not on the network and we dont really want the users having to change the setting themselves.

The website PeteNetLive - KB0000181 - Defining / Locking and Managing Proxy Settings gave me this which basically will ping the proxy, If it responds it turns the proxy on, If it doesnt it turns it off. The script doesnt seem to work though, i get a Microsoft VBScript Compilation error. This is before and after i put my settings in. I unfortunatly am not very good a VBS scripts. Can anyone assist?
    Thanks

::-----------------------Begin Script------------------------------------ @echo OFF
    :: Check LAN connectivity
    PING 192.168.99.254 | FIND "TTL" > NUL
    IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO ON_LAN
    GOTO OFF_LAN
    :ON_LAN
    ::**************Proxy ON**************
    ::Enable the Proxy Server (ticks the box "user a proxy server for your LAN...")
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    :: SET the proxy (fills in the Address and port values)
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings" /v ProxyServer /t REG_SZ /d "192.168.99.1:808" /f
    :: Set the bypass proxy server for local addresses option - <local> ticks the box each subsequent entry is additional domains to bypass for
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /t REG_SZ /d "<local>;*.local;www.dontproxy.com" /f
    GOTO END
    :OFF_LAN
    ::**************Proxy OFF**************
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    :END
    ::-----------------------End Script------------------------------------

Thank Post
    Don't know whether this is any good. We put this in the startup of all staff laptops so when they switch on it asks if they want to use the school proxy or not. All they have to do is select yes if they are in school and using the proxy or no if they are elsewhere. Copy the text and paste into notepad saving as a .vbs. Hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Option Explicit
    Dim valUserIn
    Dim objShell, RegLocate, RegLocate1
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    On Error Resume Next
    valUserIn = MsgBox("Use School Proxy?",4,"School Proxy Select")
    If valUserIn=vbYes Then
    RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer"
    objShell.RegWrite RegLocate,"PROXY ADDRESS HERE:PORT HERE","REG_SZ"
    RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable"
    objShell.RegWrite RegLocate,"1","REG_DWORD"
    MsgBox "School Proxy is Enabled"
    else
    RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer"
    objShell.RegWrite RegLocate,"0.0.0.0:80","REG_SZ"
    RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable"
    objShell.RegWrite RegLocate,"0","REG_DWORD"
    MsgBox "School Proxy is Disabled"
    End If
    WScript.Quit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank Post
    Thanks Darren but im trying to avoid the user intervention! Every user here will just say no and spend the day on facebook!

Thank Post
    We have a solution that is tied into their local startup script on entering windows, It lists all the wireless SSIDs and if the school's is found it assumes that you are on site and therefor attaches the proxy, if not then it removes it and makes the home page google.co.uk; if it can't find our servers either by wifi or wired then the same thing happens; so its a to pronged attack. works very well for us. No User intervention at all. I'm happy to share but it requires quite a few changes in the script to point to your own servers and SSID, so might need a conversation walk through. Its pushed out by GPO, but once its done its fully automated by the local machine.
    Last edited by IWDave; 12th February 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Could i get a copy of that?

Thank Post
    We use a Proxy pac file, specified in a GPO. Uses the IP address of the machine, if it's a school IP then apply proxy, if it isn't, then remove it. No user intervention, can also applies exceptions etc..

Thank Post
    Sure can, give me a mo to package it up.

Thank Post
    Hi Liam,
    I looked at that as a possible solution however our company is large with over 200 sites so capturing all those ranges will make it very admin intensive.

Thank Post
    Are you unable to just select one large pool that covers all sites rather than each site individually?

Thank Post
    Attachment 22849

Unzip it
    Modify proxywin7.reg as required
    Modify link.bat
    Modify Wireless SSID FOR NAP.bat as required to skip desktops and which servers to ping as well as the SSID
    Modify Wireless Network Connection-NAP.xml to install your wirelesskey automatically
    run Autolink.bat
    It should create a folder called session\wireless\ under drive c:
    This will then check the state of play every time you login

When distributing via GPO or login script, place all the files on a network resource and get it to run AutoLink.bat from there; this file will copy and setup its bits automatically locally on the machine that its run for.
    Last edited by IWDave; 12th February 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Why not just ping one or more of the DC servers and if you get a response back then enable the proxy? I might be missing something but it should only ever enable then if the computer is on the same LAN as the DC's.

Thank Post
    Hi IWdave, For some reason i cant download that attachment. I get a "Invalid attachment" message from the Edugeeks site?

Thank Post
    Hi JB2201,
    Thats pretty much what i want but i have been unable to get a script that will do that.

Thank Post
    Script on its way to you - sorry had to remove it to remove some sensitive info, just didn't get round to re-uploading it.. So here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by IWDave; 24th February 2014 at 04:37 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread