+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Squid Transparent Proxy in Technical; Hi I am trying to setup squid on a windows 7 machine but have run into a problem. We have ...

Thank Post

Squid Transparent Proxy

Hi

I am trying to setup squid on a windows 7 machine but have run into a problem.

We have another proxy (RM SmartCache 2) however this has been kept out of the configuration. The windows 7 machine with squid installed has 2 network cards on seperate VLANs. VLAN 2 has the client machines on while VLAN 1 has the internet connection. Connection sharing is enabled on the VLAN 1 card. We have allowed the proxy through the firewall. The client machines have the default gateway set as the Proxy server. I am using softperfect bandwidth manager installed to forward the requests to squid. However when trying to connect on a client machine the request is received by BWM but no entry appears in squids access log. If the proxy settings are manually inputted into the client machine an entry does appear in the access log. It keeps returning a DNS error although we are using open DNS servers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

I have attached the squid config file for you to take a look at and make sure everything is correct.

squid.conf.txt

Thanks

Nathan

Thank Post
    I would try getting Squid to work as a normal proxy (non transparent) first then go for transparent mode. Many of the howtos recommend this as transparent proxying adds another level of complexity. If you are experiencing dns issues you can check the squid logs to ensure its adding your nameservers correctly. Can't remember which log contains this information.

Don't know much about BWM but for transparent proxying to work this needs to be intercepting packets from your clients destined for http ports and redirecting them to your squid port (3128).

Thank Post
    Hi

Thanks for the reply.

We have got it working non-transparently now using the RM Dns servers and the uplink proxy used by the Smart Cache. However BWM isn't picking up the requests transparently. It forwards the requests onto the squid port fine however it doesn't pick the packets up with having the proxy settings with that ip in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread