+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, User Profile Service failed the logon - FIX in Technical; Just in case anyone has had this error recently , I thought I'd share a fix we found. The issue ...
    Thank Post

User Profile Service failed the logon - FIX

Just in case anyone has had this error recently, I thought I'd share a fix we found. The issue is to do with clients not being able to logon and displaying this error...
    user-profile_thumb (1).png

We found various explanations online, but the most recent suggestions were that this was due to a January 2014 update. However, we recently upgraded IE in our suites to version 11, so who knows?

Anyway, the error can be fixed by altering the NTFS permissions on C:\users\default (You'll need to show all hidden drives in order to see this folder) and select the "Replace all child objects permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" so that it is enabled

Change Permissions.PNG

This will allow users to login from then on. I can't explain why, as before making this change all subfolders and files have permissions that reflect the default user's.
    Anyway this can be done through GPO, under Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > File System.

GPO.PNG

Hopefully this gets someone out of trouble!

Thank Post
    You need to clear out the profiles from the registry. the path below is where you will find them.

remove them from here and all will be well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Thank Post
    Doesn't work. Even when you use accounts that have never been logged on to the machine and have no profile in the registry, the same error occurs.

Thank Post
    I've also had this recently, in my case once logged in locally I found that the eventlog, netlogon and many other services wouldn't start due to dependencys etc

My solution so far after a ton of googling has been to reset winsock - netsh winsock reset (elevated cmd needed)

I figured it was a fluke but I've been told this morning a couple of other machines have come up with the same issue so I'll give the above fix a go also

James

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simongrahamuk View Post
    You need to clear out the profiles from the registry. the path below is where you will find them.

remove them from here and all will be well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Deleting these, and the contents of C:\Users (besides Default) always seemed to sort this error out for me.
    I have had some instances where Netlogon wouldn't start - I usually just reimaged the machine, but I'll keep that winsock in mind. Thanks!

Thank Post
    just out of curiosity have you got ab tutor installed? I found at my old place when re installing ab tutor on machines netlogon would stop running and we had to do the reset winsock as mentioned above.

Thank Post
    Struggling with this issue at the moment on a number of Windows 8 machines.

In my case it appears to be caused by an update which ironically is supposed to resolve the roaming profile issue Incompatibility between Windows 8 roaming user profiles and roaming profiles in other versions of Windows

Remove the update and it allows users to log on again - but screws up their roaming profile if they go back to a windows 7 machine. Install the update again and it prevents them from logging in.

Notice there is a rollup for windows 8.1 which includes this hotfix and others so starting to look at reinstalling all windows 8 machines with 8.1 and the rollup to see if it resolves the issue.

Non of the default user permission suggestions worked for me.

Thank Post
    I did notice in the MS article - there is a registry setting to make the change manually should you not wish to actually install the update itself:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlset\Servi ces\ProfSvc\Parameters'

As per the article, the value 'UseProfilePathExtensionVersion' should be set to '1', which makes the change and causes the problem.

If you change it to '0' instead, the setting wont be applied - making the machine work as before. If it's not there (which it probably is) create it and set it to '0'

You can then set this in group policy preferences, so all machines pick it up and change it back to '0' should the update ever put it back to '1'

Hope this helps. If you want more info, I.ve created some below:

Paul.

It's simply so profiles are the following:
    user. WinXP
    user.v2 Win 7
    user.v3 Win 8
    user.v4 Win 8.1, so they use different profiles for each version.

If you manually create the respective .v3 folder for a test user for example, it will let the user log on a Win 8 machine if the value above in the registry is set to 1.

Changing that value above to 0 stops it (trying to) using .v3 and .v4 profiles, sharing the .v2 with Win7, 8 and 8.1

Probably a .v5 for 8.2 or Win9!
    Last edited by RowlandoGloom; 26th March 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JNStiles View Post
    Anyway, the error can be fixed by altering the NTFS permissions on C:\users\default (You'll need to show all hidden drives in order to see this folder) and select the "Replace all child objects permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" so that it is enabled
    This particular issue only effects people using local profiles rather than mandatory or roaming from what i've seen but an alternative solution is to find the individual file (it's always the same one, with the same name) within the default profile appdata folder (it's in the internet explorer folder somewhere, you can find it in the event log anyway which one you need) and set up a GPP to delete that file from all computers, then you'll never get that problem again.

EDIT: i should mention, deleting it appears to have no negative side effects.
    Last edited by mrbios; 25th March 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had this problem today.

The problem turned out to be a load of SQM files sitting in the default user profile. Removing those fixed the issue.

The SQM files belonged to Windows Live and a removed instance of Visual Studio.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread