+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, User home drives and Offline file syncronisation in Technical; Hi I have been working on migrating 100plus user home drives who use laptops and have offline file sync I ...

Thank Post

User home drives and Offline file syncronisation

Hi
    I have been working on migrating 100plus user home drives who use laptops and have offline file sync

I used this script in testing successfully the migration of users with offline file sync http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/a...eitem-vbs.aspx

I used the syntax below for the script as I understand that offline files sync using wmi object not

CscRenameItem.vbs /OldItemPath:<path> /NewItemPath:<path> [/Machine:value] [/User:value] [/Password:value]

I managed to get a successful migration when logging onto the machine as an admin and running the script after data migration and an home folder update
    My thought was that a user can run a shortcut to call the script and migrate their offline file syncs. If a user logs on to the machine they get a new home drive url sync as well as an old home drive url sync. So I cannot get the user to run the script as it fails as the new home share sync already exist.

Is there a way of automating the migration of users with offline files? Logging onto 100 users machines is going to be a big administrative task
    HELP!

Last edited by dazza007; 29th January 2014 at 08:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dazza007 View Post
    Hi
    I have been working on migrating 100plus user home drives who use laptops and have offline file sync

I used this script in testing successfully the migration of users with offline file sync CscRenameItem.vbs - The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I used the syntax below for the script as I understand that offline files sync using wmi object not

CscRenameItem.vbs /OldItemPath:<path> /NewItemPath:<path> [/Machine:value] [/User:value] [/Password:value]

I managed to get a successful migration when logging onto the machine as an admin and running the script after data migration and an home folder update
    My thought was that a user can run a shortcut to call the script and migrate their offline file syncs. If a user logs on to the machine they get a new home drive url sync as well as an old home drive url sync. So I cannot get the user to run the script as it fails as the new home share sync already exist.

Is there a way of automating the migration of users with offline files? Logging onto 100 users machines is going to be a big administrative task
    HELP!

If you alter the path to the redirected folders in a GPO (making sure the move the contents to the new location is ticked) isn't it supposed to take care of this for you? It's quite slow though! Might be worth staging if you can get it to reliably work.

3. Thanks to Jamo from:

dazza007 (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Cheers James,
    We met once at my interview before you left ...lol
    I think you setup the GPO at your old workplace to get the settings from a admx file that is local for the offline file sync.
    So a the same user logs on to the same machine and gets the old and new mappings ...confusing!
    Despite searching I could not find where you set up the redirection to the user home drive other than in AD.
    I'll look into your suggestions...
    Thanks
    Darren

Thank Post
    James you are a star.... works a treat

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dazza007 View Post
    Cheers James,
    We met once at my interview before you left ...lol
    I think you setup the GPO at your old workplace to get the settings from a admx file that is local for the offline file sync.
    So a the same user logs on to the same machine and gets the old and new mappings ...confusing!
    Despite searching I could not find where you set up the redirection to the user home drive other than in AD.
    I'll look into your suggestions...
    Thanks
    Darren

Haha how random, hadn't realised it was you! Hope the policies made some sense (:/ !!!), I spent the best part of a holiday condensing and rationalizing the policies!

All policy changes should have been central on the laptops and desktops (think there was one for XP and one for >W7), I tended not to do anything locally which wasn't through MDT. Think then it was only some registry changes to ensure the soundcard was always active even when a phono jack wasn't plugged in!

The setting (I am guessing you have found now, judging by the post underneath!! but for anyone who comes across it) is GPO/User/Windows Settings/Folder Redirection, then one for each of the redirected folders for W7. The 'home' directory set in ADUC won't move the contents I don't think (although I have never tried it tbh!)

The setting is detailed here - Folder Redirection Overview (under Move the contents of [FolderName] to the new location)

Does the offline file cache handle the move transparently for the user after the move without the VBScript?

Thank Post
    HI James,
    What can I say, you miss one check box. The policies are making perfect sense, I transferred some of the msi installation GPOs into SCCM.
    The redirection is transparent. I did some testing today, using robocopy, sharing the home drive and then just moving the user into a test ou with a copy of your w7 gpo with the redirected library settings and the check box ticked.
    I didn't change the home drive mapping in AD and worked. Changing the AD before interfered with the GPO migration, confusing! The GPO also moves the data from original file share, leaving it empty. The migrated file sync to the home share works flawlessly. I needed to reboot the laptops twice to ensure 100% of the laptops got the group policy
    Running a 10 user test group this weekend. Migrated all student users without a hiccup so hopefully this is the only hurdle to get over! Once this is done then its' setting up the new domain

8. Thanks to dazza007 from:

Jamo (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Those MSI ones were def good candidates for removal, I never liked GPO software install but those software packages just didn't go on through the 'normal' package mangler. :-P

The domain migration should be fun! I was told to look in to the ADMT tool when looking at that:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Say hello to everyone! :-D

Thank Post
    Hi James
    Testing not going so well . Problem with one of our test users!
    Do you have any ideas on this, I think it is the quotas on the new server as I have robocopied the data across and the group policy them moves the data.
    The user data was still on the old server when logging in ! and the folder redirection was still to the old server.thank god I had rollback this morning!
    Looking into it now -
    The following error occurred: "Failed to redirect because there is not enough disk space on the target folder "\\fs3\<username>\Desktop".".
    Error details: "There is not enough space on the disk.
    Stressful morning it has been!

Thank Post
    Figure that out... remove the quota on the receiving drive ...... no lockups so far.

However when the computer syncs to the new share every document on the sync errors saying that a document on the server is the same on this computer with the same time and date stamp!
    Grrrr.

Thank Post
    Can anyone advise?
    Is this a wise thing to do with user data?
    1.Open up registry editor (WARNING: Only for Advanced Users)
    2.Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Csc
    3.Add a new key (folder) called Parameters (Sometimes this already exists)
    4.Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Csc\Parameters, add a new DWORD called FormatDatabase and set its value to 1

ajs

Thank Post
    That'll clear the CSC on the machine and cause the offline files to be resynced from scratch. It's OK to do if there are any pending syncs to be done back onto the server.

Thank Post
    Thanks I copied the local cached data onto a drive and binned the csc. I had to delete the user profile to get the new policy loaded... slowly getting there!

Thank Post
    I've only just noticed there were replies to this post sorry mate, did you have any luck with the moves?

Thank Post
    It works ok mate just as long as the users restart their computer.
    We had a few hiccups with one of the dns servers going down during staging however overall it is getting there
    Staff have to sync their computers I transfer the data to a temp backup and the process is then put into action for the next morning
    I had to remove the quota limits on the receiving drive as the process threw up errors.
    Thanks for your help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread