+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Dual booting Windows 7 and MAC OSX on a WIndows network in Technical; I am not sure this is the correct forum for this but here goes. I want o be able to ...
    Thank Post

Dual booting Windows 7 and MAC OSX on a WIndows network

I am not sure this is the correct forum for this but here goes. I want o be able to dual boot a suite of Mac's with WIndows 7. I have managed to get this working on a MAcbook by using the Boot Camp assistant but i have not tried it on a complete suite. I am hoping someone can give me an idiots guide to doing this. I Know how to get it working on one stand alone Mac but what about a room full? DO you have to go through the same process on 30 Macs? Can you do just one and them find some clonign software to clone the HDD and use it on all the others?

Sorry for what may be basic questions but i have not much experience with this kind of thing with Mac's and OSX

Thank Post
    Hi Mate, unfortunately yes, you need to set up boot camp on every machine locally. *sigh* Welcome to the world of Apple!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be some answers here...

Cloning a drive with a Bootcamp partition - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services

Sounds like a comination of WinClone and Carbon Copy Creator should do what you are after.

Thank Post
    If you create a dual boot for the macs on one machine, you can then image the dual partitions using Clonezilla... Create a Clonezilla Live USB stick and it happily takes an image of the full HDD, all partitions included. Use it again to then copy the images to the other machines.

I'm assuming you're also aware of the Magic Triangle to inegrate the macs into AD for authentication?

Thank Post
    We're using Deploy Studio to image our Mac/windows environment but we do have a Appleserver as well as Windows network then use scripts within the workflow to partition etc. There is a Deploy Studio PC that might do what you want.

Thank Post
    i believe i managed to use carbon copy cloner to clone the xp setup on one mac to another but that was a few years ago and i cant remember how i did it but i seem to remember it diddnt save much time compared to running round with cds

Thank Post
    I tried clonezilla and had a Kernel error as soon as the system rebooted would be intrested if you could show me exactly how you did it! We use a Mac Server and deploy studio to do this also but I was guessing from his post that he was just running a full windows network and didn't have a mac server?
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    If you create a dual boot for the macs on one machine, you can then image the dual partitions using Clonezilla... Create a Clonezilla Live USB stick and it happily takes an image of the full HDD, all partitions included. Use it again to then copy the images to the other machines.

I'm assuming you're also aware of the Magic Triangle to inegrate the macs into AD for authentication?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    The way I went about it is to firstly upgrade to OSX 10.6 or later (ideally OSX 10.9 Mavericks), run Bootcamp, install Windows 7 'as new', install all required applications then take a snapshot of it, but do not run Sysprep.

Repeat the process on a second Mac, run Bootcamp, install Windows 7 as new, then overwrite Win 7 partition with your cloned image.

The reason I couldn't image the whole lot (OSX and Win 7) all in one go, as there was user data on the OSX partition. As far as I know it should work, especially if you're using the exact same model of Mac throughout.

It is a long winded process, but I am sure Apple don't really want you to run Windows on a Mac. They've just given users the option seeing as modern Macs are essentially PCs with an Apple logo slapped on the front!

Edit: I forgot to say, the reason I needed to install Windows 7 as new each time, is because otherwise the option to boot to Windows or Mac (by pressing and holding the Option key), Windows didn't appear in the list. Clearly in the process of installing Windows 7, something must be written to either the Mac BIOS or Mac partition allowing users to select from one or the other.

The other nice feature of upgrading to Mavericks (if you're running OSX 10.6 for example), is it creates its own restore partition which is handy if you've no longer got the original restore discs as with earlier Macs.
    Last edited by Michael; 27th January 2014 at 02:44 PM.

Thank Post
    The good news is, once you have updated the mac os to the latest versions and run bootcamp, once this has been completed, everything else is plain sailing

Thank Post
    We use "Boot picker" it gives staff members and pupils the chance to choose which OS they want to use when turning the machine on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    We're using Deploy Studio to image our Mac/windows environment but we do have a Appleserver as well as Windows network then use scripts within the workflow to partition etc. There is a Deploy Studio PC that might do what you want.
    We tried for days using this method, we had nothing but problems.
    So we did it the old fashioned way.
    Did you get yours to work successfully?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I tried clonezilla and had a Kernel error as soon as the system rebooted would be intrested if you could show me exactly how you did it! We use a Mac Server and deploy studio to do this also but I was guessing from his post that he was just running a full windows network and didn't have a mac server?
    It's last September now so I can't remember exactly, but from memory, we setup the OSX - updated to Mavericks (10.9?), then went thorough the bootcamp info and did the install that way, setup windows as we normally would.

Then, we setup a Clonezilla Live USB stick as appose to using PXE/Network Boot, and took an image of the Mac using, as far as I can remember, the default settings in Clonezilla... We then booted to the USB stick from another Mac (fresh from the box), and this time used it to copy an image to the deivce, again, from what I remember using the default settings.

I've not got my Clonezilla Live stick on me today, but I'll boot to it tomorrow and check exactly what options were used.

Yeah it does sound as though he's not using a Mac Server now you mention it, so let's just pretend I never mentioned the Magic Triangle...

14. Thanks to gtg93 from:

mac_shinobi (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    so let's just pretend I never mentioned the Magic Triangle...
    What was that about the Bermuda triangle lol

16. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

gtg93 (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Do you have WDS? As you can create a deploy cd or usb stick and deploy a windows image to each mac if you create a partition on them.

I've got a link somewhere if you want it?

18. Thanks to mullet_man from:

mac_shinobi (28th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast