+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Windows 7 Thread, AMD/ATI Windows 7 x64 BSOD atikmdag.sys in Technical; I've just built a new machine and a problem has reared it's ugly head and it sounds like it's a ...
  1. #1

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752

    AMD/ATI Windows 7 x64 BSOD atikmdag.sys

    I've just built a new machine and a problem has reared it's ugly head and it sounds like it's a common one with AMD GPUs.

    Every now and then (usually when watching a video or if I change the input on my TV) I get a BSOD. Examining the minidump, atikmdag.sys appears to be the root, suggesting some issue with the GPU.

    I've tried numerous fixes I've found online, including reinstalling drivers, registry hacking the TdrDelay value, underclocking the GPU. None seem to have worked (though I thought TdrDelay had as the problem went away for a whole day)

    Next step is to try removing a stick of RAM as that's been reported to work but if that is the only fix, this card is going back. Ridiculous compromise.

    Any regular AMD users experienced this issue and if so, do you know of a reliable fix?

  2. #2
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,212
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 346 Times in 292 Posts
    Rep Power
    90
    Never had this problem with any of my AMD GPUS I'd just return the card.

  3. Thanks to jamesfed from:

    LosOjos (27th January 2014)

  4. #3

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Never had this problem with any of my AMD GPUS I'd just return the card.
    I remember I had a lot of problems when I first had my last AMD GPU, it was quite a while back I believe it was an HD 2450... had so much trouble in fact I swore I wouldn't touch AMD again!

    With this new build, all sources said that the R9 range were unbeatable value so thought they must be OK now. You can imagine my fury when the BSODs started!

    I've requested an RMA from Overclockers, will see what they say.

    In the meantime if anyone else has had this (a Google search shows it's not uncommon) and found a solution that worked for them, I'm willing to give it a go

  5. #4
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,381
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 313 Times in 221 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    I was always a Nvidia buyer. My last card was a AMD 5870 which gave up after 2 years and now im back on Nvidia.
    I ONLY went with the AMD card because they are always getting the good reviews and showed the best value but hotter and louder usage that didn't bother me.

    You pays your money and takes your choice, and for now its Nvidia every time for me.

  6. #5

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    I was always a Nvidia buyer. My last card was a AMD 5870 which gave up after 2 years and now im back on Nvidia.
    I ONLY went with the AMD card because they are always getting the good reviews and showed the best value but hotter and louder usage that didn't bother me.

    You pays your money and takes your choice, and for now its Nvidia every time for me.
    Yeah looking at the sheer number of issues and age range of those issues (this one has been being reported for at least 4 years!), I'm beginning to wish I'd steered clear of AMD TBH.

    OK, Overclockers have accepted the RMA but has anyone here ever done an RMA with them? Reading the small print, they'll charge me £12.50 plus P&P if they don't agree the card is faulty. Well, considering the BSODs happen about twice a day and only (so far) when watching videos/switching the TV source, I'm not confident they will find the fault and they're then going to charge me for it
    Last edited by LosOjos; 27th January 2014 at 03:51 PM.

  7. #6

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,911
    Thank Post
    154
    Thanked 598 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Hmm. It's quite a particular issue - it's the sort of thing that a range of driver tests (including betas) will probably sort. There are also possibly some of the add-on modules within the Vision Control Centre which aren't happy - may be worth uninstalling some of these to check.

    Despite the issues I've seen online, I've had very few issues with AMD drivers across a massive range of hardware, from ancient to modern stuff. Similar experience with Nvidia, but had far more Nvidia hardware failures.

  8. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

    LosOjos (27th January 2014)

  9. #7

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Hmm. It's quite a particular issue - it's the sort of thing that a range of driver tests (including betas) will probably sort. There are also possibly some of the add-on modules within the Vision Control Centre which aren't happy - may be worth uninstalling some of these to check.

    Despite the issues I've seen online, I've had very few issues with AMD drivers across a massive range of hardware, from ancient to modern stuff. Similar experience with Nvidia, but had far more Nvidia hardware failures.
    To be fair you could be on to something RE particular drivers - don't AMD bundle something with CCC that is supposed to improve video playback quality? Would tie in with the BSODs happening mainly when streaming video...

    I had an issue with a beta Nvidia driver that was fixed by removing the stereoscopic driver so that may well help...

    I have 28 days to send off the card for RMA, so I'll give it another week at least to do some more testing, be damned if I'm paying Overclockers more money for nothing!

  10. #8

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,419
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    PM Sent but basically from looking at google thus far

    1. Use relevant utils to diagnose your computers RAM so full diags not the quick tests ( each stick one at a time if required )

    2. Remove SPTD drivers ( which generally come with cd / dvd burning type tools ie Alcohol 120% )

    3. Try either latest drivers for the AMD / ATI GFX Card or possibly slightly earlier drivers ( so not the latest and not beta )

    4. Possibly try the msconfig / boot work around

    All links included in the PM

    If its still the same then I would RMA the card and swap it for an NVidia if possible?

    Be good to know what things you have already tried / done - so we are not re-suggesting you to do things you have already done / tried and know have failed etc
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 27th January 2014 at 05:21 PM.

  11. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

    LosOjos (27th January 2014)

  12. #9

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    PM Sent but basically from looking at google thus far

    1. Use relevant utils to diagnose your computers RAM so full diags not the quick tests ( each stick one at a time if required )

    2. Remove SPTD drivers ( which generally come with cd / dvd burning type tools ie Alcohol 120% )

    3. Try either latest drivers for the AMD / ATI GFX Card or possibly slightly earlier drivers ( so not the latest and not beta )

    4. Possibly try the msconfig / boot work around

    All links included in the PM

    If its still the same then I would RMA the card and swap it for an NVidia if possible?

    Be good to know what things you have already tried / done - so we are not re-suggesting you to do things you have already done / tried and know have failed etc
    Have tried all those apart from the boot fix, so I'm trying that now. Next thing to try is to use DDU to completely remove the drivers, then try another install. I'll repeat that until the crash has persisted across 3 versions of the drivers, then it's getting RMA'd.

    My only worry with RMA is it's not a consistent crash, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, and I'll be extremely p'd off if Overclockers decide the card is fine then charge me for the privilege of having it back

  13. #10

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,419
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Have tried all those apart from the boot fix, so I'm trying that now. Next thing to try is to use DDU to completely remove the drivers, then try another install. I'll repeat that until the crash has persisted across 3 versions of the drivers, then it's getting RMA'd.

    My only worry with RMA is it's not a consistent crash, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, and I'll be extremely p'd off if Overclockers decide the card is fine then charge me for the privilege of having it back
    Complain and they dont have your pc with the same config so if it shows up as working they wont come across the same issues. Surely you can swap for an nvidia card of a similar value ?

  14. #11

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,562
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Complain and they dont have your pc with the same config so if it shows up as working they wont come across the same issues. Surely you can swap for an nvidia card of a similar value ?
    Yeah well that's what I'm hoping if I can't get this working (so far so good with the boot fix BTW...) I just wish I knew somebody who had gone through the process with Overclockers so I'd have a better idea how helpful they'll be. I'm already annoyed with them for not publishing my review of the awful BitFenix Colossus mATX case they sold me, in fact that alone is enough for me never to buy from them again; how can you trust them if they'll only post positive reviews?

  15. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (28th January 2014)

  16. #12

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,897
    Thank Post
    3,419
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Yeah well that's what I'm hoping if I can't get this working (so far so good with the boot fix BTW...) I just wish I knew somebody who had gone through the process with Overclockers so I'd have a better idea how helpful they'll be. I'm already annoyed with them for not publishing my review of the awful BitFenix Colossus mATX case they sold me, in fact that alone is enough for me never to buy from them again; how can you trust them if they'll only post positive reviews?
    When I do have money I try to if possible buy from Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices

    I've had bad experiences with both ebuyer and scan so try to if posisble avoid them, novatech were great and got the items to me extremely fast and in working order although did cost a little bit more but I suppose worth it, not had to call them for support etc so not sure how they rate on the support front

    Never ordered anything from ocUK but from your comment think I will avoid them as well

  17. #13

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,258
    Thank Post
    1,670
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    451
    Problem with the R9s are that AMD popped them out knowing people will be using them for mining more than gaming, so (IMO) didn't properly do the drivers as they wouldn't be used as much for the gaming side of things.

    I have had similar issues with an nVidia card before, so its all much of a muchness, I do not have a preference for brand. If it fails again with a new card however, stop, get a refund, then go and get an nVidia.

  18. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    35
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    How about trying modified drivers?
    Unofficial Drivers ?

    Videocards - ATI Catalyst (Modified)

  19. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    35
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Does your PSU meet the requirements?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows 7 image - not sys prepped
    By speckytecky in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th October 2012, 08:56 PM
  2. Eclipse.net and Windows x64
    By powdarrmonkey in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th October 2008, 05:54 PM
  3. BSOD when trying to install windows xp
    By Mr_M_Cox in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th February 2008, 11:23 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 09:26 PM
  5. AMD agrees to buy ATI for $5.4bn
    By tarquel in forum IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th July 2006, 01:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •