+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Windows 7 Thread, AMD/ATI Windows 7 x64 BSOD atikmdag.sys in Technical; I used to work for Aria lol...never purchase from him again. The only Iranian who has gone to america for ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    35
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I used to work for Aria lol...never purchase from him again.
    The only Iranian who has gone to america for a week...comes back with an american accent pmsl

  2. #17

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJaeger View Post
    How about trying modified drivers?
    Unofficial Drivers ?

    Videocards - ATI Catalyst (Modified)
    Don't really want to mess around with third party drivers. I'm of the opinion that if first party can't do it, I'll buy from a manufacturer that can!

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJaeger View Post
    Does your PSU meet the requirements?
    Yeah, 500w and it's Corsair not some cheap make, had this same PSU in 3 different recent builds with no issues.


    BTW: day 2 and no BSODs since trying the boot fix posted by @mac_shinobi I also disabled the "ATI External Events" service that day so can't be 100% certain what fixed it. If I make it through the weekend with no crash, I'll try to work out which one fixed the issue just out of interest

  3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (29th January 2014)

  4. #18
    free780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Thank Post
    42
    Thanked 84 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    How was the driver installed?

  5. #19

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,795
    Thank Post
    3,306
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Don't really want to mess around with third party drivers. I'm of the opinion that if first party can't do it, I'll buy from a manufacturer that can!



    Yeah, 500w and it's Corsair not some cheap make, had this same PSU in 3 different recent builds with no issues.


    BTW: day 2 and no BSODs since trying the boot fix posted by @mac_shinobi I also disabled the "ATI External Events" service that day so can't be 100% certain what fixed it. If I make it through the weekend with no crash, I'll try to work out which one fixed the issue just out of interest
    Possibly the service. Not sure what the msconfig boot thing does

  6. #20

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    How was the driver installed?
    With the installer?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Possibly the service. Not sure what the msconfig boot thing does
    The only thing I can think of is that the AMD drivers try to write to a non-existent area of memory because it fails to properly detect the amount of RAM in the system... don't know how likely that is but then again there are a lot of reports of people getting the card to work by removing a stick of RAM! As I say, if it makes it a few more days, I'll do some proper testing to find out what fixed it.

  7. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (28th January 2014)

  8. #21

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,795
    Thank Post
    3,306
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    With the installer?



    The only thing I can think of is that the AMD drivers try to write to a non-existent area of memory because it fails to properly detect the amount of RAM in the system... don't know how likely that is but then again there are a lot of reports of people getting the card to work by removing a stick of RAM! As I say, if it makes it a few more days, I'll do some proper testing to find out what fixed it.
    I presume they mean did you extract the drivers out of the setup file regardless of it being an exe / msi or whatever and then going through device manager so you only install the driver and not any additional gumph or did you right click on the installer to run it with admin rights and when going through the setup wizard did you just get it to install everything under the sun or a custom install to only install certain items etc

  9. #22

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I presume they mean did you extract the drivers out of the setup file regardless of it being an exe / msi or whatever and then going through device manager so you only install the driver and not any additional gumph or did you right click on the installer to run it with admin rights and when going through the setup wizard did you just get it to install everything under the sun or a custom install to only install certain items etc
    Ah ok. I just did the default install, nothing out of the ordinary. I suppose trying to extract just the driver to install could have helped, if it was some piece of pointless AMD software causing the issue that could have solved it. Still going strong, boot fix or service disable seems to have done the trick. The weekend will be the real test though when I put it through it's paces with some more demanding games. Going to try Tomb Raider first of all just to see what all this fuss over TressFX is about...

  10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (29th January 2014)

  11. #23

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,795
    Thank Post
    3,306
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Ah ok. I just did the default install, nothing out of the ordinary. I suppose trying to extract just the driver to install could have helped, if it was some piece of pointless AMD software causing the issue that could have solved it. Still going strong, boot fix or service disable seems to have done the trick. The weekend will be the real test though when I put it through it's paces with some more demanding games. Going to try Tomb Raider first of all just to see what all this fuss over TressFX is about...
    Sounds good - be good to know what the fuss about TressFX is about as well

  12. #24
    Duke5A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    807
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 132 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    My only worry with RMA is it's not a consistent crash, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, and I'll be extremely p'd off if Overclockers decide the card is fine then charge me for the privilege of having it back
    So, use the card as a path to ground while doing your best Michael Jackson impression while wearing fuzzy bunny slippers on shag carpet. Personally, I prefer Thriller myself - works every time.

  13. #25

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    So, use the card as a path to ground while doing your best Michael Jackson impression while wearing fuzzy bunny slippers on shag carpet. Personally, I prefer Thriller myself - works every time.
    haha yeah you might be on to something there! Is the white glove essential though?

    BTW - got another BSOD last night, although this one looks memory related rather than GPU. PC is sat at home running through an extensive memtest as we speak.

    I'm about ready to chuck the lot in a box and ask for a refund!

  14. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (31st January 2014)

  15. #26

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,051
    Thank Post
    1,635
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    438
    Not sure if done so already but throw up your PC spec and what you are running at the time it happens.

  16. #27

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Not sure if done so already but throw up your PC spec and what you are running at the time it happens.
    It's a tricky one to diagnose as I do believe I've got two separate issues going on here. The AMD driver issue appears to be resolved, that one was causing BSODs when watching videos, particularly streamed videos.

    This latest issue has happened once or twice, usually whilst browsing in Chrome but also once or twice when switching the TV input. Initially I thought the GPU was the cause again, with it happening when changing input, as there could be some issue with HDMI completing the hand shake at input switch or a slight over-voltage from my AV amp or something... to rule that out, I've now got the machine connected directly to the TV, bypassing the amp (not ideal as I lose 5.1 but if needs be I can get a sound card)

    The latest BSODs are of the IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL - classic bad RAM error, hence I've got it sat running memtest as we speak.

    Spec as follows:
    i3 4130 (Haswell)
    Gigabyte H87M-HD3
    Sapphire R9 270
    Corsair 500w PSU
    TeamGroup Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

    Now if it does turn out that these problems have been bad RAM all along, I'm going to be furious with myself. It was extremely out of character for me, but I bought TeamGroup RAM despite having never heard of the brand. I did so because it was fairly cheap, well specced, well reviewed on Overclockers (who I now know don't publish bad reviews so this proves nothing) and came with a lifetime guarantee.

  17. #28

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,051
    Thank Post
    1,635
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    438
    right off the bat, PSU is what stands out as the culprit too me. I had similar issues with an older PC and the PSU wasn't nearly powerful enough. I changed it from a 500W to a 650W and didn't have the issue since (atleast on the GPU side of things).

    For the RAM, probably a couple of dodgy sticks.

  18. #29

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    right off the bat, PSU is what stands out as the culprit too me. I had similar issues with an older PC and the PSU wasn't nearly powerful enough. I changed it from a 500W to a 650W and didn't have the issue since (atleast on the GPU side of things).

    For the RAM, probably a couple of dodgy sticks.
    This machine shouldn't need more than 400w and I'm confident the Corsair can deliver 500w (unlike a lot of cheaper brands that don't deliver what they claim).

    I suppose I could try the 600w PSU from my main machine and see if it clear things up...

    I'll see how the memtest goes and if they fail, I'm asking for a refund. Never should have bought a brand I don't know, certainly won't do it again! (even if they're fine, I'm already kicking myself for having done it in the first place!)

    EDIT: BTW, this tool is very good for estimating power usage: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power
    Last edited by LosOjos; 31st January 2014 at 12:34 PM.

  19. #30

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,494
    Thank Post
    1,452
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Just as an update for anyone interested; the BSODs started again, less frequent but still there. Then I updated to the latest beta drivers and got more BSODs than ever!

    Going to phone Overclockers and explain the situation, a new card isn't going to help as it's the drivers causing the issue, so hoping to do a swap for an NVidia card (preferably looking to get some kind of deal on a 760, obviously paying the difference)

    EDIT: well it took some arguing to get a refund and even then it was only because I pointed out I opened the RMA within their 14 day guarantee period, they just weren't having it that their tests would not necessarily be relevant as they don't have my exact system, especially as it's a driver problem. Going to return for a refund and then pay the £50 difference for a 760 from eBuyer (got an ASUS model for £194 at the moment). I suspect I may have issues with my PSU and a 760, but I should be able to swap out the 600w from my main PC. Nightmare!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th February 2014 at 11:07 AM.

  20. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    mac_shinobi (4th February 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows 7 image - not sys prepped
    By speckytecky in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th October 2012, 08:56 PM
  2. Eclipse.net and Windows x64
    By powdarrmonkey in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th October 2008, 05:54 PM
  3. BSOD when trying to install windows xp
    By Mr_M_Cox in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th February 2008, 11:23 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 09:26 PM
  5. AMD agrees to buy ATI for $5.4bn
    By tarquel in forum IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th July 2006, 01:17 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •