+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Desktop Icons Re-arranging After Redirected Desktop Location Change in Technical; Hi, I'm migrating our data at present onto new fileservers. Our redirected desktop and start menu folders were originally stored ...

Thank Post

Desktop Icons Re-arranging After Redirected Desktop Location Change

Hi,

I'm migrating our data at present onto new fileservers. Our redirected desktop and start menu folders were originally stored on a Win2K3 server, in a share. I've re-created this share, and folder permissions identically on a new Win2K8 R2 server, and then published this as a DFS path to ease future migrations. I've updated our GPOs to point the redirected start menu and desktop policy locations to the new DFS path, and added the new DFS path as a trusted zone in the IE GPO's.

It all works as it should, except that on our clients (Win7 SP1), the position of desktop icons is no longer saved! We use roaming profiles. I've reset a test user profile (in case there is still some reference to the old path in it somewhere) and tested with a brand new profile and exactly the same behaviour.

Has anyone come across this before, or have any ideas for me to check?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Ignore this. Just had a another look at it and realised that for some reason the permissions on the share were different in DFS management to the actual shared folder on the server. I've given everyone full control over the share in both places and now it works as it should.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread