+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Profile permissions and sharing... in Technical; Hi there, Have somewhat of an odd request. We use local profiles - meaning that student a logs on, it ...
    Thank Post

Profile permissions and sharing...

Hi there,
    Have somewhat of an odd request.

We use local profiles - meaning that student a logs on, it makes a local profile. We redirect desktop, docs.
    Recently found that students can change permissions on these profiles... meaning that student a can give student b access to his local profile. This does NOT affect anything that is redirected as those acls are set correctly, but does give access to say appdata, or the favs folder...

I need a way to block this. As a student is technically the creator of the profile, he is the owner and can change permissions or add people. So I am kinda lost on how to do this.

Why is this important? We have some special accounts that are not allowed to access resources not on the network (external media is blocked for them). However, what they do is log on with an account on the network, save the files to the local c (everywhere but their profile is locked down hard, so they have to save to their profile), add in the special account so it can read their files, and then the special account has those files it should not have.

Any ideas?

The one idea I came up with was to somehow force everyone to use a temp profile. I know, crazy, most people are trying to prevent users from getting a temp profile, but imagine if you login -> temp profile -> deleted when you log off.....
    Thoughts?

Thank Post
    If you re-direct everything to network servers deny access to the local drives where the profiles are. Use a GPO to hide c: and remove anything they can use to find it too, like cmd.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    If you re-direct everything to network servers deny access to the local drives where the profiles are. Use a GPO to hide c: and remove anything they can use to find it too, like cmd.
    I don't want to direct appdata to the network... But everything important already is being redirected...

I already set the local drives to hide/ prevent access, but the kids found ways around that...
    Make a new shortcut to \\localhost\c$ for one way to access the C drive when hidden...
    I'm going to try to deny write in the users folder and see what happens. In a VM of course.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread