+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Icon's displaying incorrectly on taskbar in Technical; Hi all, We are currently using a default mandatory profile on our user accounts. Sometimes (not always) the icons on ...

Thank Post

Thumbs down Icon's displaying incorrectly on taskbar

Hi all,

We are currently using a default mandatory profile on our user accounts. Sometimes (not always) the icons on the taskbar will display incorrectly, for instance Microsoft Word will show up as clipart or PowerPoint will show as publisher. This seems to be affecting all applications, but when you pin the icon it changes to the correct value.

I've tried deleting the icon cache as it suggests on google but no luck. We are switching to roaming profiles in a few months anyway but until then this is being a bit of a pain!

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I have seen Desktop.ini files cause all sorts of problems with icons, but to be honest I am not sure if the Desktop.ini file does anything to the taskbar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try going into AppData under the user's profile directory and deleting IconCache.db. Restart the machine and all should be well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Try going into AppData under the user's profile directory and deleting IconCache.db. Restart the machine and all should be well.
    Thanks for your reply, I have already tried this but with no luck. I'm in the process of creating a new mandatory profile so it will be interesting to see if this solves the issue, and if so to see if it reoccurs at a later date.

Thank Post
    I have this same issue.
    We use local profile though. I thought it was related to our software restriction policies though.

Oh, and we ban pinning icons.

We also have an issue when closing ms office programs that it freezes on a white screen. Do you ever see that?
    Last edited by MordyT; 14th January 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
    I have this same issue.
    We use local profile though. I thought it was related to our software restriction policies though.

Oh, and we ban pinning icons.

We also have an issue when closing ms office programs that it freezes on a white screen. Do you ever see that?
    Hi sorry, we don't have the issue you have described with office apps. There was/is an issue with Outlook that is causing our client programs to randomly crash and it turns out this is due to a large number of SRS files in App Data. I've fixed this with a script on our file server now.

Fix for this issue:
    Turned out to be something in the user profile. I have now given users a new mandatory profile and the icons have returned to normal. If you have this issue I suggest you recreate the profile if resetting the icon cache does not solve the problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jthornton1605 View Post
    Hi sorry, we don't have the issue you have described with office apps. There was/is an issue with Outlook that is causing our client programs to randomly crash and it turns out this is due to a large number of SRS files in App Data. I've fixed this with a script on our file server now.

Fix for this issue:
    Turned out to be something in the user profile. I have now given users a new mandatory profile and the icons have returned to normal. If you have this issue I suggest you recreate the profile if resetting the icon cache does not solve the problem.
    We use local profiles, which are wiped all the time. Happens on a fresh profile too. No biggie.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread