+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Slow Logging In??? in Technical; Hey Guys Bit confused as 2 of the admin machines are taking ages to log in like 5 minutes but ...

Thank Post

Slow Logging In???

Hey Guys

Bit confused as 2 of the admin machines are taking ages to log in like 5 minutes but all the other admin machines seem perfectly fine! I have checked the server and I can't see a problem with AD or their profiles. I did change a few GP settings yesterday would it be that applying which is taking the time?

Thanks guys

Thank Post
    Have a look at msconfig to see if there is something set to startup that might be causing the lag. Also, check the hard drive, I use CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World and quite often machines that are not behaving correctly normally report back with errors.

Thank Post
    Try enabling verbose status messages during the login. Might point to where it is getting stuck

Enable Verbose or Highly Detailed Status Messages In Windows 7 | 8

Thank Post
    @fiza did what you told me to do seems to be hanging at loading the Printers GPO. I did mess around and changed some stuff with the printers yesterday in an old thread of mine that was what I was told to do. Now it just seems to take forever to apply the policy. I tried doing gpupdate /force and it wasn't budging just hung at Updating Policy...

Anyone know how to resolve this?? :/

Thank Post
    I know alot of people have had problems deploying printers via gpo. We have stuck with deploying printers via script.
    Have you checked that the printer names are all correct in your GPO? It may be stuck looking to install a non existent printer.

Thank Post
    Its funny you should say that I have put the GPO back as it was before and the problem now seems to be resolved although it's not deploying one of the printer (the main copier). Though the copier is working fine I have restarted it and I can ping to it and access the copiers web gui bit confused why it's not showing on workstations?? All the other printers are!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah deploying printers via gpo can cause long login times. We have longish times here so I am considering going back to scripting it, its definitely quicker.

Thank Post
    I didn't really want to have to go down the script route, I like to control everything from a central location if I can such as the DC. It has worked perfectly before was only when I messed around with it yesterday am I having issues! The only issue now is it's not deploying 1 out of the 2 printers and I Can't understand why. Maybe an uninstall of the printer on the DC, reinstall it and then redeploy is worth a try?

Thank Post
    Didn't work ???

Thank Post
    Ive had all sorts of problems with adding printers via GPO's, printers crashing, not getting connected, losing connection and slowing login times right down. I have moved printers and network drives back to VBS scripts running from netlogon. I would double check your configuration in the GPO of that particular printer and also check there are no item level targeting parameters applied to it.

Thank Post
    printer installs like this often have dialoug boxes poping up during deployment that the user is not able to see. can hang for ever some times.

Shonkey system.

We never had problems on novell iPrint so cant understand how microsoft cant get it right on their own OS!

Thank Post
    At the beginning of this year we had a few odd desktops that took a stupid amount of time to login, several hours one day and fine the next. After a lot of head scratching we came to blame the HP print drivers were hanging. Since then we've removed all official HP print drivers from the server and made sure they all use the Microsoft HP drivers. It was a bit of a pain sorting the drivers out but well worth it.

We only found the problem after enabling verbose logging and I've left it on as it seems having descriptive information instead of "Please Wait" makes our staff think the login is quicker!

I hope that helps!

edit: forgot to mention we tried GPP, scripts, GPO for deploying printers and in the end stuck with GPO Workstation policy with PrintMAN policy extensions to set the default printer. Working like a charm now
    Last edited by timtom; 14th January 2014 at 12:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread