+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Admin rights for standard users on Laptops in Technical; Hello everyone, I hope everyone had a good Christmas holiday! I have just finished upgrading all desktops and laptops in ...
    Thank Post

Admin rights for standard users on Laptops

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone had a good Christmas holiday!

I have just finished upgrading all desktops and laptops in school to Windows 7 and all devices are joined to the domain.

Each teacher has a laptop which is their personal device to use as they please when at home. At the moment, they are unable to install software or home printers as obviously group policy is preventing this.

Is it possible to give the teachers admin rights to their own laptop or allow them to install software on their logon? If so what's the easiest way of doing this whilst keeping them on the domain? The only way I can think is if I create a local admin account for those people who need it and they use that to install software and drivers but this is a bit of a pain for everyone.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Darylrese; 3rd January 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Thank Post
    I believe there is a group policy you can turn on to allow the teachers to install drivers, so this may help, although drivers running from an exe still wouldn't work this way. If anyone wants anything installed that they can't do themselves, we make them bring their laptop in and we'll install it for them. We've had teachers laptops for almost 2 years now and there hasn't been a problem so far sticking to this method. There is a local admin account that they could use in an emergency, but I've refrained from telling anyone about it so far, and I think i've actually forgotten the password now.

Thank Post
    We temporarily add users to the local admin group on the laptop while they install any drivers they need. We remove the rights after they have finished or have failed to respond to a reminder! We spot check users are not abusing this and installing any old rubbish.

Thank Post
    We want to avoid staff having to bring their laptop down to us to install drivers and programs so adding them to the local admin accounts might be the only way for those who request it and we will do the same as mentioned above.

I have tried group policies to allow staff to install drivers but so far without success.

Does anyone know the GPO required to allow driver installation when logged on as a standard user?

Thank Post
    There is a GPP that can be used to add someone to a local group on a PC. Its how we add a support group to newly imaged PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post
    I have tried group policies to allow staff to install drivers but so far without success.
    Try this...

Automating Hardware Driver Installation on Windows 7 and Above DeployHappiness

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread