+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Long delay on login...solution..maybe? in Technical; In our situation we have a long delay after login with a blank screen and just the mouse, after a ...
    Thank Post

Long delay on login...solution..maybe?

In our situation we have a long delay after login with a blank screen and just the mouse, after a short while (couple of minutes) it continues. Just looking at the event log I see two events "the winlogon notification subscriber <GPCLIENT> is taking long time to handle the notification event (StartShell)", now before each of these events (there are two) we have a couple of "PnPDriverImportError" messages. Our printers are run via a vbs script, so I am I a million miles away from thinking they may be the culprits as surprisingly we install two printers!
    Would changing over to installing the printers through GPP solve this? This delay only occurs on the netbooks and laptop we have logging onto the domain, other PC's that run the same scripts just log on fine, no blank screen delay but... they have a similar message in the evnet log except it states "Fault bucket, type5" instead of "Fault bucket, type0" on the netbooks.
    Could this blank screen be the same issue except that the netbook speed means we see the blank screen as the PC's process the info quicker?

Clutching at straws to solve this delay issue but just hope I have managed to grab one!

Can't test at moment removing printers as finishing for Christmas and spend too much of my life here as it is anyway!
    It will be a job for the New Year
    Happy Christmas Everyone!

Thank Post
    GPP might help, but I have not had much success with using actual group policy preferences. On our netbooks as well as all of our Windows XP machines we run a logon script with pushpr.exe and assign the printer via Group Policy. I can take some screenshots if you need me to. One thing to note, though, if you install a printer via Group Policy and later remove that printer, we have had some issues in getting that printer to stop showing up.

Happy Christmas

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Netbooks/Laptops wired or wireless? If wireless what's the laptop:access point ratio? How are profiles managed? Roaming? fixed? I get similar things here and the problem usually turns out to be a mixture of wireless access points and large user profiles.

EDIT: In terms of removing printers with Group Policy. This must be done before you remove the printer share from the server otherwise the remove command will error not being able to find the printer. The only solution then is to hunt the registry and manually delete all mention of the printer.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 20th December 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Netbooks/Laptops wired or wireless? If wireless what's the laptop:access point ratio? How are profiles managed? Roaming? fixed? I get similar things here and the problem usually turns out to be a mixture of wireless access points and large user profiles.

EDIT: In terms of removing printers with Group Policy. This must be done before you remove the printer share from the server otherwise the remove command will error not being able to find the printer. The only solution then is to hunt the registry and manually delete all mention of the printer.
    wish I had known that before I made that mistake ages ago!
    On my current issue they are Samsung NC10 netboks, on a Ruckus WIFI (think I need to test when on a wieed connection as a comparrison to rule that out) it happens no matter when there is 1 or 10 connectimng to that AP, they are not mandatory profiles and everything apart from appdata is redirected. just seemed coincidence that two errors occur when it mentions shell and we have two printers installing and the error is PnP. easiest option will be to comment out printers when I get chance and try it along with trying a cable connection logon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I have exactly the same setup - same wireless, same netbooks etc. We originally had printers installed using GPP but due to slow logon we now instal via script which did speed them up a bit, surprisingly.
    The netbooks are very slow to log on still though - they are strangled to a low speed - cant think what at the moment - and they cannot take full advantage of the Ruckus wireless which is infuriating

Thank Post
    Interesting, if we could get rid of that delay, they would be acceptable, sure we didnt have it before we went to w7. Been looking at possibly adding a nano usb wifi adaptor, tried some Dynamode ones 150Mbps, but no better as still got that delay altbough testing the speed they are twice as fast as the internal card.

Thank Post
    I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the printer drivers. On the wired PC's the problem was masked, but the wireless laptops were slow. Which model printers are you using? Printer drivers really can be quite buggy especially HP ones.

Thank Post
    The printers are Panasonic MFD's, colour and B+W. May be due to the speed of the netbooks and the drivers installing, could they be waiting for confirmation etc but its not showing as we have turned UAC messages turned off etc as I said clutching at straws!

Thank Post
    We have the same problem. It happens occasionally on desktop machines and laptops. We have hp universal printer drivers so the comments about the drivers causing issues could be true. Never had this issue with xp.

Thank Post
    I may be wrong, but the pnp bit in the error makes me think the driver is looking locally for the printer and this is causing the delay when it can't find it. How you resolve this I don't know, but you might get somewhere if you dig around. In my instance I used another driver, but still had to remove a regkey that removed a bidirectional part to get it working normally. Sometimes I think the drivers are not written with print servers in mind.

Thank Post
    Sounds about right that, well at this time of day it sounds plausable. As you said how we would get around this issue dont know. could half it by just installing one printer for netbooks as the colour MFD does do b&w as well? supose testing without printers would prove this one way or another...one for he after Christmas list.

Thank Post
    If you test without the printer, remember to not only delete the printer but also the printer drivers otherwise it could still cause an issue.

13. Thanks to Zourous from:

TechSupp (21st December 2013)

Thank Post
    Is the issue resolved when the user does not have a roaming profile or a fresh roaming profile?

I've come across this a few times and for us it was either the roaming profile was too big or a mapped drive was trying to connect and causing a hang on startup. We mapped a drive to a NAS for teachers which was causing this. As soon as I migrated data onto the network storage and reconfigured the drive, the problem was resolved.

With printers I find the best way of deploying printers is through group policy rather than logon / startup scripts.
    Last edited by Darylrese; 5th January 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Well a good start to the day, managed to get a quick logon and no delays from a netbook once I stopped the script that loaded the printers, even better the coordinator was quite happy at that solution, saving work from netbooks but no printing
    however...
    its not ideal so next step is to load printers via GPO instread and see if problem occurs. Is it an easy job to set printers to load via a GPO, not done that before.

Thank Post
    Yep its fairly easy.

First create a blank GPO and name it relevantly eg [Printer] - Printer name.

Next, link it to the relevant OU.

Then go to your print server and load up the printer console. Right click on the printer, deploy with group policy, point to the blank GPO you created in your domain, select per machine, refresh and you should be good to go!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast