+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, GPP Drive Mapping to run last in Technical; We've been using GPP now for a bunch of staff and it's worked perfectly. Now I have a problem that ...

Thank Post

GPP Drive Mapping to run last

We've been using GPP now for a bunch of staff and it's worked perfectly. Now I have a problem that we want to push this out to all staff but as we have loads of (legacy) scripts that are still running I want to do it by department to ensure that if there are any problems it only affects a small number of users at a time. What I want to do is run GPP while still having the script running but set the GPP policy to run last and override any drive mappings. The reason being is that we are also implementing DFS for staff and I'm phasing that in via GPP mapping. I am aiming to get rid of the scripts but need to keep them in place for the minute.

If I have both policies enabled how do I ensure that the GPP runs last and overrides any script? At the moment it seems that the drive will map, but it maps to the scripted location rather than the DFS location from the GPP settings. I have the GPP drive mapping set to Replace but it doesn't seem to apply. It looks like the script is running last.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure you can't alter this behaviour. Scripts run last. Period.

Here's how things play out on startup and login: Group Policy processing and precedence: Group Policy

Hopefully someone can correct me but I don't think so.

3. Thanks to sparkeh from:

penfold (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I've changed the precedence so I'd kind of guessed it was a script running last thing but I was hoping there was just a tick box work-around that I didn't know about. It just means that I need to make sure my DFS is all configured correctly and I'll have to wade through a load of scripts before implementing it now. I was hoping I could apply it to departments via a roll out, but I guess I'll have to do a blanket update and hope for the best

Thank Post
    you could filter the gpp by dept at least temporarily and just apply it to blocks of users at a go

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you could filter the gpp by dept at least temporarily and just apply it to blocks of users at a go
    That's what I was trying to do. I'm trying to update the drive mapping for our staff share but as it points to the same location it is applied to all staff but now I want to change each department via GPP. But I can't use GPP without the script overriding it by running last.

Thank Post
    Probably easier to create a new OU for "upgraded" staff, link in the new GPO and then just move them in there and remove the login script one department at a time (or even one user at a time).

That way nothing overlaps, old users are "NO GPO" and "YES login script", new users are "YES GPO" and "NO Login script" and if you have any problems you can simply move them back into the old OU and re-add the login script.

Thank Post
    OK, quick update. Our scripts were set to delete any existing connections and re-map the connection specified from the script. I've just updated the script and left it map if the drive letter doesn't exist. Now I've just tested it and the group I'm pushing out GPP to gets the drive and everyone else picks it up through the script. Once I'm happy this is working I'll just turn off the script.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread