+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Odd issue with Windows 7 and home drive in Technical; Hi I have one user with a strange problem. If her computer is locked and left for a while, on ...

Thank Post

Odd issue with Windows 7 and home drive

Hi
    I have one user with a strange problem. If her computer is locked and left for a while, on unlocking the computer on her return, her home drive is displaying the standard Windows folders, but anything she has created herself are not visible. They are still on the server, along the the Windows folders, but not visible after the computer lock. This doesn't happen if the computer is locked for a short time. U: drive is looking at the right location, permissions are all fine but the only solution at present is to log off and back on again. A bit frustrating and if anyone has any ideas as to the issue here, I would be pleased to hear from you!

Mex

Thank Post
    This appears that the issue may be caused by the computer sleeping, does the network card go into a power saving mode? At the University we experience this quite a lot where the network connection breaks or disconnects and this could cause the problem that you are describing here.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the response. The one thing we have done is to update network drivers for this very reason. I should have mentioned it, I guess. It didn't help. It's only one user and as we buy our computers in batches, i.e. with the same components and drivers, so not sure that is the issue. Having said that, I will check the power options for the NIC and see if I can stop it going to sleep.

Thanks again,
    Mex

Thank Post
    Hi Mex,

It may also be worth adjusting the machines power setting in general. Earlier this year we rolled out a new group policy to all staff managed machines which made them go to sleep after 45 minutes of non-use. We have around 6,000 members of staff and you can imagine the different hardware configurations. The way we go around this was to create a "no-sleep" group into which we placed any problematic machines, the group basically does what is says on the tin.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread