+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Groupl Policy printers in Technical; I'm using group policy Deployed Printers at the moment but its causing problems with the default printer not being the ...
    Thank Post

Groupl Policy printers

I'm using group policy Deployed Printers at the moment but its causing problems with the default printer not being the one people require. I.e in a room we might have a mono and colour Printer, so every machine in that room has both printers deployed but we'd want to make the mono one the default. I thought preferences might be the way to do this, but you can only set the default in preferences if its a User preferences.

So there is no way to deploy printers to a machine and set the default - apart from resorting to scripting etc, or am I wrong? Deploying the printer as a user preference is no use as the user's want the printer that is in the same room as them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You can do it via GPP regedit - to point you in the right direction.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

Sheridan (25th November 2013)

Thank Post
    you can also use group policy loopback to apply user settings (so default printer) to a pc

5. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft - Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1985.

This is pretty much the reason we abandoned GPP printer policies, you can't get it working the way we want without scripting or some major bodging.

Thank Post
    I never thought of a loopback, it seems a bit daft you can't just set the default though for a machine!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I never thought of a loopback, it seems a bit daft you can't just set the default though for a machine!
    it is but you can only use the tools they give you. I assume its due to sloppy thinking whereby they expect everyone has their own normal pc and as a user they will print to a set printer rather than pcs are a free for all and i just want to print to whatever cloer by default not the department printer
    Last edited by sted; 25th November 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thank Post
    I'll try adding the printers as a users preferences (with default) as a loopback merge policy! Over-complicated but in theory should do the job!

Thank Post
    Have you looked at this thread from last year?

Setting printer as default using GP

Thank Post
    Here's a screenshot of our GP setup. We break down all of our Workstations --> Building --> Room
    Then we have a workstation policy for that building with the following settings and utilize the printers there. This way it always maps the printers (even USB printers) for any user that logs in to that room without the need for a VBS script. It's been working flawlessly for us for almost 3 years now. Takes a little work to get it all in the GPO's but once it's there it's not so bad. Just make sure you have a good policy in place if your technicians replace/add a printer so it gets updates.

mon.png

Edit: I should also note that we set it up so that each of our school buildings only show their buildings printers if they manually add a printer, which makes it a lot easier if they can't find theirs or want to print to an alternate location. We just trained them to add them manually as they need them, and auto-map the most logical/closest printer. This also works for us because we set our computer names to BUILDING-ROOM-SERIAL.
    Last edited by dmanning; 25th November 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I've set up a loopback policy that adds the printer to the user and set the default - which doesn't seem to be working now. I removed the printer deployed to the machines and now nothing appears!

Thank Post
    Sorry, you'll need these settings as well:
    mon1.png

14. Thanks to dmanning from:

Thank Post
    I'm finding the preferences as much use as Windows 8 :-)

Deployed to machines - works fine
    Deployed as user preferences (loopback) - no printers appear at all

I've had to put the machine policy back on - especially as we've just had 'the call'

Thank Post
    Yes with the steps I provided it works with a Computer in the OU ... if you want to use users instead you need to switch it to where your Users are and select Users in OU option. We found it was easier to map printers based on the computer location rather than the user since users move around a lot. Make sure you only set one of the two printers to be the default. I can't remember but I want to say having it second in the list and making it the default worked better, you'd have to tweak it until you get the results you desire, but it sounds like you're almost there.

Thank Post
    We map printers by vbscript. So much easier as we map based on location, room and also by what subject group they belong to (departmental office printer). We script most things.

Thank Post
    Yes - I want to add the printers by location, so created a loopback policy with the User preferences set to the two printers with only one set as default

The result of that was no printers showing for any users on those computers. Add the printers back to the Deployed printers policy and they re-appear. I must be missing something here although I do find the GPP settings a little unreliable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast