+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 PC's stuck at "Please wait" in Technical; Keep us posted!...

Thank Post
    Keep us posted!

Thank Post
    Any joy with the above issue? this has started happening at out place too. Nearly half the computer suites either gets stuck at please wait or welcome. This started happening about a couple of weeks ago.

Thank Post
    Turn on verbose messages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Turn on verbose messages.
    Where and how ?

Thank Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325376

I know its for server 2003. Its in the same place in gp. Do you deploy java by any chance?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Where and how?
    For future reference, the Verbose vs normal status messages group policy has been renamed to Display highly detailed status messages in Windows 8/8.1 and Server 2012/2012 R2 (and Windows 7 if you use the latest ADMX files).

http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#1842

Code:
    Computer Configuration » Administrative Templates » System » Display highly detailed status messages
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th December 2013 at 07:55 AM.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (20th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghafoor View Post
    Any joy with the above issue? this has started happening at out place too. Nearly half the computer suites either gets stuck at please wait or welcome. This started happening about a couple of weeks ago.
    This is an interesting one this, from my experience it could be a number of problems. What machines do you have are these RM? I have seen a few machines get stuck on windows when the sata cable on the hard drive comes slightly dislodged also a few when the hard drives have bad sectors. But recently for I had one machine that was a power problem as I swapped out the DC DCB power module and it was fine. Very frustrated with this! Do they get stuck on Windows each time or is it intermittent? My machines only get stuck on Windows from a PXE boot startup job in the morning which was interesting.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this has already been suggested or not, but check spanning tree on the switch. We had some new switches which had been configured for fast spanning tree and this caused a log on problem. This has been changed to standard and now the machines boot fine. I don't know the full details as it wasn't me who was looking at it but everything else we tried still resulted in the same error being reported. It was as if the machine was coming up too fast and couldn't get a network connection as a result it took an age to log on and was stuck on please wait or welcome...

10. Thanks to penfold from:

JHLEHS (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Not sure if this has already been suggested or not, but check spanning tree on the switch. We had some new switches which had been configured for fast spanning tree and this caused a log on problem. This has been changed to standard and now the machines boot fine. I don't know the full details as it wasn't me who was looking at it but everything else we tried still resulted in the same error being reported. It was as if the machine was coming up too fast and couldn't get a network connection as a result it took an age to log on and was stuck on please wait or welcome...
    That is possible, might be worth moving the PC to a different physical location in the school and test it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    If I remember rightly from a seminar if spanning tree is turned on for ports where PC's are attached when the PC is turned on the port starts to negotiate the tree so it can take a few seconds to sort. While this is happening the PC can not communicate so if you have a PC that boots quite fast (which most do these days) it interferes. You can test this visually by turning Spanning tree on for one port, off for another and then turning PCs attached to those ports on. The port lights will settle much quicker on the non-spanning tree port.
    Recommendations were to only have spanning tree on ports that connect to other switches. In case of a network storm this will not protect PCs on the same switch but will limit the storm to that one section.

13. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

penfold (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    If it is a software-related issue you could use the Windows Performance Toolkit to diagnose the problem.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/...e-toolkit.aspx

Last edited by Arthur; 11th December 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Start it in Safe Mode. If remove/disable the drivers one by one til you indentify which one is causing trouble.
    After that look for an updated driver for the device with the issue.

Thank Post
    Anymore for anymore on this? Still struggling. Seems to be when illegally shutdown as suggested.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHLEHS View Post
    This is an interesting one this, from my experience it could be a number of problems. What machines do you have are these RM? I have seen a few machines get stuck on windows when the sata cable on the hard drive comes slightly dislodged also a few when the hard drives have bad sectors. But recently for I had one machine that was a power problem as I swapped out the DC DCB power module and it was fine. Very frustrated with this! Do they get stuck on Windows each time or is it intermittent? My machines only get stuck on Windows from a PXE boot startup job in the morning which was interesting.
    We found that if you unplug the network cable it gets to the logon screen OK but as soon you plug it back it gets stuck. We have enabled the verbose message in GPO and that seems to suggests its getting stuck at software installation however, that only happens when you use pupils logon credentials it does not happen with administrator credentials. We have Dell PCs. Really frustrating...

Thank Post
    We had this at our place. One of my technicians found a fix on the ms site. Ive got the patch at work that i can dig out and upload for the ones who are having the problem.

It certainly stopped our problem. We found before the patch the machine would fail to apply a specific group policy and the machines that were causing the problem were the dell 755.
    Last edited by timbo343; 19th December 2013 at 10:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast