+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Not requiring .\ for local account, like 'Administrator' does? (School and home-use) in Technical; Our Administrator accounts are renamed via Policy, and if you key in the username it changes from domain.local to computername. ...

Thank Post

Not requiring .\ for local account, like 'Administrator' does? (School and home-use)

Our Administrator accounts are renamed via Policy, and if you key in the username it changes from domain.local to computername. Standard.

We have a severely dyslexic SEN kid here who needs a laptop, I'm setting it up for him but I want to make it as easy as possible to logon. He'll be using it during school, so it's joined to our domain, but he'll need use of it at home, too. So I've created a local user account which should serve sufficient purpose. However, keying in the username doesn't automatically make the machine clock on that I want the local account (I need to use computername\username, localhost\username, .\username etcetera). Whilst this isn't a problem for us techies that are used to the workings of domains, for any kid, not so much.

Is there a way to make it to this automatically? I could just tell the kid that his username is ".\username" but I honestly think that might be a little too confusing for the kid.
    Failing that, any better ideas on how to make the machine work in school and at home, whilst still being able to access his domain files? (The only other option is join it to the restricted public wifi and have him use the VDI all the time, but that's no better either.)

Thank Post
    Does Windows not do this automatically itself?

IE: If you have a local account "Peter" and type in Peter, I thought it automatically defaulted to the local machine?

Thank Post
    There's a Group Policy setting that changes the logon domain:

Computer Settings-Policies-Administrative Templates-System-Logon-->Assign a default domain for logon

Set the default domain to "."

It'll be harder to log on to the domain with it, but very easy to log on locally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Does Windows not do this automatically itself?
    IE: If you have a local account "Peter" and type in Peter, I thought it automatically defaulted to the local machine?
    I thought so too. It appears that it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    There's a Group Policy setting that changes the logon domain:
    Computer Settings-Policies-Administrative Templates-System-Logon-->Assign a default domain for logon
    Set the default domain to "."
    It'll be harder to log on to the domain with it, but very easy to log on locally.
    If .\Username (for home use) is going to be difficult for him, domain.local\Username (for school use) will certainly be.

Thank Post
    It might be easier to just have him always use his domain logon and use group policy to tell windows to cache the credentials.
    (Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\"Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is not available)")

This is what we do for our teachers who use laptops at home and it seems to work OK! Bonus: If you turn on offline files, he'll also be able to use all the files from his filestore at home and they'll sync when he's in school.

Thank Post
    Offline files was something I did consider but have never actually used in the past (for some reason, that word looks.. wrong..) Thing is he won't be using this laptop if the classroom has an IT Suite, such as IT or Technology lessons. What would happen if he did some work at home, then had IT and edited the same file, then booted up his laptop? (Or simply just forgot to bring his laptop that day) Which file would take priority? The latest edited or the unsynched?
    Credential cacheing is disabled in the default domain policy because of all the problems it's been causing (laptops without wireless still logging on, etc). This isn't something we envisioned ourselves actually ever needing to do since there's plenty of laptops in school and VDI/VLE access from home.

Thank Post
    Hmm, in that scenario, when he tried syncing the laptop version, it would tell him the network one had changed and let him compare and choose to keep one or both as seperate files. He could be told that if he changes anything at home, he'll need to turn his laptop on first thing in the morning to let it update. Depending on the student, might take a few times to sink in though.

What about putting his laptop in its own OU inside the main one and creating a new GPO to turn on credential caching just for the new OU, that way you shouldn't have any problems with other machines then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post

What about putting his laptop in its own OU inside the main one and creating a new GPO to turn on credential caching just for the new OU, that way you shouldn't have any problems with other machines then.
    In this scenario you wouldn't even need another OU, just scope the policy to only apply to him

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread