+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Primary School Children - Logging In in Technical; Hey Guys So I have a bit of an issue and would like to see if any of you guys ...

Thank Post

Primary School Children - Logging In

Hey Guys
    So I have a bit of an issue and would like to see if any of you guys can come up with a simple resolution to this. All children have their own User Name and password from Year 1 right the way through to Year 6. The username looks like this Timmy08Jones First name : Intake Year : Last Name

The issue is that in years one the children can't barely spell cat let alone their full name with a number in the middle etc... So I guess I'm asking for either of two solutions

1. Does anyone know a good way to make them practice their User name so they learn it quickly
    or
    2. Does anyone know a way that I can do without making a generic account that will help the staff log in?

Thankyou any help is most appreciated.
    Alex

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surely Q1 would be better directed to the teachers?

Thank Post
    We don't give children their own login until year 3. Instead we give each computer in the ICT suite a number and this is stuck on the front of the PC and the keyboard. They then login with this number. e.g. PC1, PC2, etc...
    This is better than a generic year1, year2 style username as it allows the teacher to see what individual children are doing (via SmartSync)

From year 3 we use the same naming convention as the LEA and they can then use the laptops (which are monitored via ABTutor)

Thank Post
    Almost as above, we don't give usernames until year 3, we just have generic logins for reception, yr1 and yr2.

Thank Post
    Same here, only year onwards get their own login, then it's their firstname&initial& yearofbirth. Hopefully by y3 most of them can spell their name and know how old they are... MOST!!

Thank Post
    We have software like Rm's CC network software. This allows us to create a year user group, the kids then log into their own year group without a password then they pick their name from a list and it logs into the machine.

Not sure if you can do it with a Vanilla network but its a very good way of logging in for the infants especially those that cant spell their names.

Thank Post
    We had this (last name and first initial with number combinations) forced with the new CC4 setup, so I just made generic logins for each class. Usernames are the class names, and the teacher picks a password. Before I did this, no one came to me about it until I saw a year 1 class spend their entire ICT lesson trying to log in and failing. Shocking that they kind of just dealt with it before then.

8. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

abillybob (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys for all the advice. I have spoken to our teachers and the children from year 2 are perfectly fine logging in and even do some can it themselves now with no help! I will proberbly just give years reception and 1 a generic account to use with no internet access until they get to year 2.

Thank Post
    Why the no internet access? As long as it's filtered surely they will benefit from games etc on cbeebies and so on? I witnessed a reception child log into a pc and get onto the web and get to "friv" so he could play his favorite games.

Thank Post
    Because we can't monitor them as individual students on Smoothwall. We we're marked down by Ofsted because we weren't monitoring the students online properly because before I started here every year had a generic account.

Thank Post
    we make year 1 and year 2 use generic year 1 and year 2 accounts with the password as the name of the school name, then year 3 onwards get their own usernames but keep the same password as year 1 and 2

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mums works has class logins (for g1-3) and then individual logins for web access which are printed out on labels and stuck on business card and the kids all seem to manage (so why they don't have individual accounts [which would be the same as the web] is beyond me)

They also know how to do the bunny rabbit ears to log in as well (ctrl-alt-del), as well as logging off or shutting down at the end of the lesson.
    Last edited by p858snake; 27th October 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Thank Post
    We have individual login for years 1 upwards. Their usernames are f.last or first.last if there is a duplicate. Passwords are set to 1, 2, 3 etc depending on what year group they are in. We disable changing passwords until they are in year 5. Rarely hear any problems about kids logging in.

Thank Post
    We're introducing individual log in from reception up from Monday! I've chosen first 2 letters of first name and first 2 letters of surname - some kids have very long names and with different adults regularly in the classrooms they won't know all of the spellings. I'm using 4 digit numbers as passwords - quick to look up. I plan to increase complexity as they get older. I'll report back on progress...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,743 Posts
    We have individual logins from Reception. We find they almost always learn to login themselves within a couple of weeks using their 'top secret' 3 letter password. Youngsters learn to work computers very quickly. Our Reception kids can all login easily by half term.

All our logins take the form nnForenamex where nn=Year of starting Reception and x=first ketter of surname

Where a child uses a shortened form of their name that is used for the forename, so Alex for Alexander and Tilly for Matilda. If the name is more than 5 or 6 letters, we speak to the Reception teachers and come up with a compromise if necessary. We has 3 Alicias in one class and ended up using two letters for the start of the surname, but actually get few clashes. It depends on the size of your school

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread