+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Group Policy not applying for a few users in Technical; Having a problem at the moment where some users, around 2 out of 50, aren't having group policy settings applied. ...

Thank Post

Group Policy not applying for a few users

Having a problem at the moment where some users, around 2 out of 50, aren't having group policy settings applied. I have recently installed new PC's in each classroom running Win 7 Pro, compared to using Win XP on the old machines. There were no problems with this on XP. One of the settings that arn't applying is the proxy settings, so these users can't access the internet so it's of high importance I get this fixed. The wallpaper that's set in GP doesn't seem to be applying either, but when the policy is set to that machine, the wallpaper turns black instead of the default one so it must be receiving something.

The proxy settings are set in the default domain policy, and when I run gpresult /r on the PC logged in as the affected user, I can see that the policy has been applied. I then tried creating a new policy just for the proxy settings which still didn't work but gpresult again shows the policy has been applied.

Thank Post
    Do the machines not applying (IE) policies have IE10? If so you need to use the Group Policy Preferences > Internet Options section to apply them.

Thank Post
    I forgot to mention that was one of the things I had already tried, but that didn't work. I ruled that out before I tried it seeing as it's working for everyone else and they're using IE10 too.

Another thing to add though, if I log in as either of these users, I am able to manually set the proxy settings but they are cleared after logging out and back in. I've made a script for their desktops to set the proxy settings in the registry as a short term fix but like I said, the wallpaper isn't applying either and I presume there's some other settings not applying that I haven't discovered yet.

Thank Post
    Wallpaper issue is well documented:
    Windows 7 Gotchas/Tips/FYI

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    Wallpaper issue is well documented:
    I had already tried the hotfix and it didn't work as I already had it downloaded for some boot camped iMacs that were having the black background problem, which it did fix. With these PC's, the wallpaper is one of a few group policy settings that aren't being applied, so even if the hotfix did fix the wallpaper, there is obviously some underlying issue that needs resolving.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread