+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Automating a log in in Technical; Hi, We have a SEN child in our school which has a laptop that we want to choose when he ...

Thank Post

Question Automating a log in

Hi,

We have a SEN child in our school which has a laptop that we want to choose when he uses it but not physically have to stop him. I have created a script that the teacher runs that shuts the computer he is on down. But then as there is no password on the pupils accounts, he can just wait and log back in. Obviously putting a password on the account would solve this but he is very smart and will watch it and eventually get it.

My ideal situation is to have a password on his account, one that is only in the script (no one nows it) that automates a log on with a script from a remote computer then use the current remote log off/shutdown script we have to end his time on the computer.

I have a command line app called 'Logon.exe' which is supposed to do the job but it appears that it doesnt work for andything newer than Vista (we use 7) Is there such a script or another way you thing this can realistically work?

Thanks,

Paul.

Thank Post
    Surely this is a classroom management issue, not a technical issue?

Lock the laptop in a cupboard when he's not supposed to be using it? Presumably if he's an SEN child he'll have a TA with him? Give them the key?

If you absolutely, positively need a script, an AD script that disables/enables the account should do the trick. The kid can find out the password all he likes - if the account's disabled, he can't log in (depending on if you can embed and encrypt credentials, the shutdown script could also work as the disabler, but you've got security to consider there). I'd have no clue about writing said script, but I hear a lot of AD can be automated via PowerShell. Might be a good place to start.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 2nd October 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you use something like LanSchool or Netsupport? Maybe you could use that to do the job?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Surely this is a classroom management issue, not a technical issue?

Lock the laptop in a cupboard when he's not supposed to be using it? Presumably if he's an SEN child he'll have a TA with him? Give them the key?

If you absolutely, positively need a script, an AD script that disables/enables the account should do the trick. The kid can find out the password all he likes - if the account's disabled, he can't log in (depending on if you can embed and encrypt credentials, the shutdown script could also work as the disabler, but you've got security to consider there). I'd have no clue about writing said script, but I hear a lot of AD can be automated via PowerShell. Might be a good place to start.

I don't know why I didn't think of that myself!

Thanks Garacesh!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rrafluap View Post
    I don't know why I didn't think of that myself!

Thanks Garacesh!
    Its 3 lines in vbs. Let me know if you want the code.

Thank Post
    Forgot to mention Impero could handle this... It allows a remote login/log off OR you could just block the student (will lock his screen) and remove the block as needed.

Thank Post
    Rohos Featured product
    rohos. It auto logs on when the usb key is put in, give the key to the TA and when he isn't to use the laptop key comes and laptop gets lock automagically.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread