+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Device naming best practices? in Technical; Originally Posted by JHLEHS I really like the idea of the IWB for the teachers, such a pain deploying SMART ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHLEHS View Post
    I really like the idea of the IWB for the teachers, such a pain deploying SMART Notebook to teacher PC's as not all classrooms have IWB.
    We did ours by AD Security Group. A GPO was set to all Workstation but then it only applied if the machine was a member of Smart Software group thus any PC could be added and get the Smart Software Worked a treat, also had one for Promethean software for the few Promethean IWBs we had.

Thank Post
    Keep mine even simpler in primary schools

Make + serial

So something like SAM-AEUG1U

That way if it is getting moved to another location I do not need to update the name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    <site code><station type><room><number in room>

<site code> is a bit redundant since I no longer work at multiple sites, just habit now.
    <station type> is either 'admin', st (for normal stations), tl (teacher laptops), pl (pupil laptops). This helps with SCCM auto putting them in right collections.
    Other are self explanatory.

Therefore a station might look like: rps-st-r1-01

Thank Post
    For classrooms we do roomno-machineno-assettag and for offices roomno-userinitials-assettag In reality, the middle bit is redundant but that's what we do!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeOpossum View Post
    Are there any best practices that you people use for naming your win7+ machines?
    Here, I use
    TNab-c-d
    Where:
    a= OS, ie, Win7
    b=D, L or S for desktop, laptop and server
    c= Room number, ie, 05.
    d= Machine number, ie, 01

So typically, you'd get something like TNWin7D-05-01, which is manageable for me.
    Could I improve this without losing that information?
    We use <room#>-<machinetype>-<sequentialnumber> for our computers. Some examples:

B12-iMac12-01 (the first 2012 iMac in room B12)

T5-Opti745-30 (the 30th Dell Optiplex in room T5)

I avoid using the OS version as that info is easy to retrieve and we don't keep a mix of OS versions around (all either Win7 or OSX 10.8). It's more important for me to know the machine type I'm looking at from the name on the network. The only time I use the OS in the name is when it's a VM (e.g. K3-iMac-02 is host and K3-Win7-02 is the Windows VM on that host).

Thank Post
    RXXX-asset number for student desktops. IWB-RXXX-asset number for classroom IWB machines. ADM-staffcode-asset number for office machines. LAP-staffcode-asset number for staff laptops. LAPRXXX-asset number for student laptops. Dropping the hyphen in student laptops means staff laptops come first when alphabetically sorted. Servers get sitecode-use-number.

Thank Post
    -we use site abbreviation - Room or building # - PC# - ST(Student) or TCH (Teacher)
    example: EC-12-02-ST
    7,000 desktops at 25 different sites
    -Servers are named per their purpose, I got tired of trying to remember what EC-Server02 did. (150+ servers)
    -we use a vb script to add the Model #, service tag (serial #), and last logged on user to the computer description field of Active Directory Users and Computers
    -we also use ocs inventory to collect inventory info (OS, software, etc.)

Thank Post
    I’ve got a 6 digit Asset Tag on all Hardware (except monitors and anything under 100). This is stored within our Helpdesk System and the following naming convention is used.

Desktop: PC<ASSET> e.g. PC123456
    Laptop: LP<ASSET>
    Thin Client TS<ASSET>
    Printers- we have two virtual queues but these are named by location e.g. <ROOM><Printer Type> (only have 1 per room as they’re all MFD’s)
    Infrastructure: <SITE><TYPE><PRIMARY ROLE><NUMBER> e.g. MANSVRDPM01 would be the DPM Server.

MANHPSWI01 – switch. MANSWAP01- AP and so on……

I find simply asking staff to quote the Asset Tag is easiest to find them as we can pull all the details down within the Helpdesk. If it’s not there it’s simply the device type and Asset ID. Makes replacement easy as we can pull a report of all machines due for refresh.

Thank Post
    We just use PC Model - Asset Tag and in the description in AD specify its location. It helps a great deal when completing an inventory!

for example:

PC Name: HP7800-01232

Description: Library PC

Thank Post
    My advice would be to use a location based naming convention. Ours is based on our school code (shared domain) - Room - Computer Number. Our school code contains an additional letter to determine wether it is a curriculum, admin or laptop PC.

I have serious issues with asset tag based naming conventions. They are only suitable in a large enterprise environment where you would be unable to devise a compatible naming convention.

If somone calls me, I only need to ask what room they are in to be able to connect to their PC. All the machines in IT rooms are ordered numerically. By contrast, I went to a school with asset based naming and it was hell. People can never find the tags, the kids tear them off, you replace them, end up with multiple old entries in AD. Urggghhh. Hell.

As Darylrese suggests, if you can keep the AD description up to date you would be ok. However, in that other school there was not a single correct description. I had 500 machines, and I didn't know where the hell any of them were. Puts shivers down my spine just to think about it.
    Last edited by vladker; 7th January 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Ours is pretty simple:

For servers: Three letter site code, - SVR - server function 3 or 4 letter contraction of name or number for DCs. -So for example (as this is publicly available on our MX records) oak-svr-exch is our mail

For laptops: Lap-normal usage area-number for example: lap-6th-001

For workstations: ws-normal usage area-number or ws-normal usage area-usercode. for example ws-it1-001 or ws-house-sjp

there are a few exceptions, but this is the rule!

Thank Post
    ICT Suite Machines: SuiteName-XX where xx is a number eg DT-01
    Office Machines and Staff laptops: InitialsYearof Purchase Type eg AWM10M for a 2010 purchased Mac primarily used by awm or JCD08L for a laptop bought in 2008 used by JCD
    Servers: By function eg SCCM1 for the SCCM server
    Printers: By location

Thank Post
    Have always just done serial number with an initial in front for manufacturer - D for Dell, L for Lenovo. Hmmm, do I need to change?

Thank Post
    Nice and easy here, you can see a PC name and immediately know where it is.
    For student PC's: [4-character representation of room]-###, from the left of the doorway (001 ++)
    For staff PC's: [4-character representation of room]-STAFF (appending -01, -02 etc if applicable, for example, staff rooms)
    Laptops: [Set-name]-000 (eg SciLT2-013)
    Servers are just named for as-and-what they are. Smoothwall, Print-Server, CCTV-Server etc.

However, I had to have some fun at a primary school I worked for a while. The domain was handled by a third-party, I was just there a day a week to fix what went wrong because their techie was only in half-a-day per fortnight. They decided the school had to have the name and a dash by computers (as they managed other primary schools on the same domain, ended up with me finding a huge security hole, but anyway..)
    Their school name, plus the mandatory dash, ended up being 8 characters, and they also declared I couldn't go over 15 characters. I asked if I could abbreviate the name to 3 characters, but they replied with a resounding 'Noo!'. So I had 7 characters to deal with.

Key Stage 1 PC's ended up with SCHNAME-KS1-P01 - P10, the 10 Key Stage 2 PC's getting -KS2- instead.
    The set of 15 student laptops ended up with SCHNAME-LAP-P01 - 15, and staff laptops got SCHNAME-LAP-??? where ??? was a 3-character representation of the staff member the laptop belonged to (Joe Bloggs, for example, would have SCHNAME-LAP-JBL)
    Unfortunately rooms weren't labelled by subject or staff member, just 1 to 10, so staff machines were SCHNAME-R##-S01
    In a few rare cases, a classroom had a student PC in it, too, which received SCHNAME-R##-P01
    Early Years finished up with SCHNAME-EY-P01 - P03 for the 3 student workstations and SCHNAME-EY-S01 - S02 the 2 staff machines (giving me a whole 1 character spare! Yay!)
    For Admin machines I decided on SCHNAME-REC-S01 - 03 for reception, and the others were SCHNAME-ADM-S01 - S07 as they had no set user.
    I wasn't allowed to touch their servers (besides the print server I fitted whilst I was there), which I labelled SCH-PrintServer (SCH being the abbreviation I'd previously asked for)

Of course, I included full detail of my naming convention and computer locations in the inventory I took whilst I was there, I'd like to think I made the best of a bad situation..
    Last edited by Garacesh; 8th January 2014 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    It's been done based on location/type at the schools I've been at - I can imagine doing it by asset/serial number could get a bit confusing!

One school I've been at has a system where the name is 8 characters, the first character a letter describing which building (e.g. B), the second a number for which floor (e.g. 0 for basement, 1 for ground floor, etc). The next three characters are the room code, the 6th character is for machine type (C for desktop, N for laptop/notebook, P for printer), and then the last two for what number it is (01, 02, etc).

If the device is something like a laptop/notebook which doesn't have a fixed location, the first two characters change (e.g. 'nb' for a laptop). The room code varies, but normally something like for teaching classrooms 'R' followed by the classroom number, or offices, the third letter is 'O'.

E.g.
    B0ADOP02 (for the second printer in the admin office in the basement)
    NBTR2N05 (for the fifth laptop in laptop trolley 2)
    C2R27C01 (for the teacher computer in classroom 27 on the first floor of building C)

Hq.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12