+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, unattend.xlm join domain and manually entering computer name in Technical; I have been reading many many threads on using Windows SIM and unattend to join a domain and manually enter ...

Thank Post

unattend.xlm join domain and manually entering computer name

I have been reading many many threads on using Windows SIM and unattend to join a domain and manually enter a username after applying a wim to our new laptops. Something to do with factory imaging....

Having tested out the unattend.xml I can get the computer onto the domain but with a randomly generated computername. I have left the attribute <computername> blank in the xml and deleted the line in the xml that specifies the computername attribute.
    The former gives me a random computername on the domain and the second does not process the unattend.xml and I have to enter everything manually.

Can an unattend.xml allow a user to type in a computername and then join a domain automatically. I was coming to the conclusion that the computer joins the domain with a random name and then admins rename the computer.
    Thanks for any direction... will post a xml up in the morning.
    Cheers,
    D

Thank Post
    You might be able to manipilate the oobe pass to just ask for computer name. Just asking why you don't use mdt?

Thank Post
    We are having the laptops imaged offsite supplying a wim and unattend.xml to the manufacturer.

Thank Post
    As I understand the computer can be given a name by removing the line in the unattend.xml <computername> however the computer does not join the domain. I can join the domain manually so there are no trust issues. On the flip side I can enter * as a computername which randomises the computername and the computer joins the domain....How can I do both?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information