+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Black Screen with Cursor in Technical; Used MDT / WDS to deploy machines over the summer. Randomly, after user enters crednetials, machines will display a black ...

Thank Post

Black Screen with Cursor

Used MDT/WDS to deploy machines over the summer. Randomly, after user enters crednetials, machines will display a black screen with a cursor. Machine will stay like this for anywhere between 1 and 7 minutes and then eventually display the desktop. It doesnt happen every login.

Any ideas? Various things on Google but none which seem to apply. Could it be a graphics driver issue? The machines concerned are Dell Optiplex 755, Dell 760 and 780 machines.

Thank Post
    I would start with this hotfix, it cured something very similar for me last year

The logon process stops responding in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

Andrew

3. Thanks to AJWhite1970 from:

fiza (17th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    I would start with this hotfix, it cured something very similar for me last year

The logon process stops responding in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew but the description of the symptoms is different.
    We get past the welcoem screen and there is no blue swirl. With us the black screen eventually allows login and doesnt require a reboot.

Thank Post
    Sounds like GPO processing is in synchronous mode, rather than asynchronous.
    The computer is delaying the login till all GPO's are processed.

Group Policy and Logon Impact - Group Policy Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    Sounds like GPO processing is in synchronous mode, rather than asynchronous.
    The computer is delaying the login till all GPO's are processed.

Group Policy and Logon Impact - Group Policy Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Checked and it doesnt look like GPO processing is in synchronous mode. As I said it is intermittent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dropping to a black screen with a cursor would make me think display drivers. Running the actual chip maker's driver instead of the MS one? Is there more than one display hooked up to these systems? I've also seen machines do this when detecting and setting up multiple displays (although it usually takes just a split second).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Dropping to a black screen with a cursor would make me think display drivers. Running the actual chip maker's driver instead of the MS one? Is there more than one display hooked up to these systems? I've also seen machines do this when detecting and setting up multiple displays (although it usually takes just a split second).
    That was my next step - to update the display driver. Currently using the one win 7 came with. machines are student machines so no dual displays involved.

Thank Post
    Was a solution found, have similar issues here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Was a solution found, have similar issues here.
    I think I traced mine to an old DC. I was meant to replace a DC with a new one. Introduced the new one but then other events took over and I forgot to decommission the old one. This DC was really on its last legs and it seems to be slowing down logins for any clients it authorised. Once I decommissioned the server the issue has gone away (at least I havent had any reports of it occurring).

Thank Post
    We get this but it is totally random. If it happens, I just switch the PC off at the wall, reboot it, and it us OK, although it will take a bit longer to boot than normal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    We get this but it is totally random. If it happens, I just switch the PC off at the wall, reboot it, and it us OK, although it will take a bit longer to boot than normal.
    We were doing the same. Either wait for 5-7 minutes and it eventually logs in or reboot. Since taking out the DC no more complaints but this could be due to the fact that users have just accepted that this is what happens and we dont get any reports of it.

Thank Post
    I have a feeling it may be linked to issue we were/are having with our old server that acts as a print server. Its not a DC anymore due to issues as you found, poor logons etc. Have done fresh install of print server before half term so waiting to see if error returns however we still have some print availability issues for some reason.

Thank Post
    I have tried the hotfix on a pc and no joy, delay of 600 seconds, iszue with gpclient in event logs, does this need to be run on the server as well? Does the gpclient message mean its a gpo issue and would the error message tell me which gpo is causing the dely? Will be changing the asynchronus processing setting later to see if that helps. Incidentally if I distributed the hotfix its an msu do I do it via a logon script and does it check if its already been applied previously or does that have to be scripted?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    We were doing the same. Either wait for 5-7 minutes and it eventually logs in or reboot. Since taking out the DC no more complaints but this could be due to the fact that users have just accepted that this is what happens and we dont get any reports of it.
    Looks like our issue is still there. Anyone know a way around this?

Thank Post
    Could you take a machine out of action that has had the problem, add it to a new OU and try adding gps independantly. Might need a few different test users with different permisions and different level of GP's assigned to them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast