+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Access Denied to user Home folders in Technical; Bit of an odd one this, user home folders are set in AD to connect z: \server\year\%username% and this is ...

Thank Post

Access Denied to user Home folders

Bit of an odd one this, user home folders are set in AD to connect z: \\server\year\%username% and this is generally working fine except for some users on some win 7 clients.
    They'll login and the drive appears under My Computer but they do not have access to it (they do have access to Public and another drive that are mapped by a login script).
    I've tried navigating to the user home folder through word and get an access denied message.
    If they move to another computer (in the same OU) it'll work fine, I've checked permissions and everything looks fine (they have full control as does system and Admins). Also I can login as a different student on the same computer and their home drive will be fine.

Has anyone else come across anything similar or have any ideas why this may be happening?
    Server 2008 R2, currently using local profiles but same issue was occurring while using a mandatory roaming profile, not sure what other info may be needed or relevant so let me know.

Thank Post
    That sounds just like a Shares permission issue. Your NTFS permissions can be fine, but check that Authenticated Users (I avoid the Everyone group) has Full Control on the root share where your user folders are stored, otherwise you'll get this behaviour.

BJG
    Thank Post
    Seem to remember seeing something similar. Try running this Microsoft Fixit on one of the affected machines and see if it helps...

On a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based client computer, you can still access offline files even though the file server is removed from the network

*edit*

(You might also have to delete existing non-working local profiles.)
    Last edited by BJG; 17th September 2013 at 03:08 PM.

4. Thanks to BJG from:

FatBoyFonz (23rd September 2013)

Thank Post
    As an update to this if anyone else is looking, that Fixit from BJG seems to have sorted it even though Offline files are disabled by gpo on our network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread