+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, USB devices stop functioning upon switch user in Technical; Hi Peops, I have a weird issue happening on the network. All pc's are windows 7 32bit. When staff try ...

Thank Post

USB devices stop functioning upon switch user

Hi Peops,

I have a weird issue happening on the network. All pc's are windows 7 32bit. When staff try to switch user and logon, the keyboard and mouse (if usb) seem to lock up. To get them back up i need to either restart the pc or disconnect and reconnect the usb cables for both devices.PS2 is fine.
    I did some googling and found the power management feature called USB selective suspend could be the culprit. From what i found on the net i managed to disable this feature via reg edit GPO. When i log on to the pc and go in to power management USB selective suspend is disabled so im confident that the reg GPO is working. However it still locks the USB devices up on switch user. This happens on all staff workstations.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Are these all the same make/model or different?

Thank Post
    Are there any settings in BIOS that would knock them off ie suspend USB ports?
    Has GPO definitely been configured to suspend any power saving features?

Thank Post
    They are a mixture of makes and models. the gpo I tried was solely to remove the usb selective suspend feature. I have replicated the problem with a test pc I have. Drawing a lot of blanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could you disable the GPO on the test machine, enable selective using Windows then reboot and subsequently disable it again via Windows.
    Its just on the off chance its one of these settings that when changed via the GUI more things happen then just a reg flag.
    There are a few parts of windows where you need to call things after deploying the key to get the changes to apply properly although there is a good chance this wont fix it.

EDIT: Actually selective USB needs a motherboard that supports it I believe (such as haswell gen) so I would have been surprised your random spread would all have the feature. What AV/firewall do you use?
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 10th September 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Try device manager > Universal serial bus controllers > pick a root hub or similar and check its power management (turn off allow to sleep) > repeat for all of them

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You aren't using the Intel management tools per chance, their vpro stuff has some features like this.

Thank Post
    Hi

I took the GPO off and manually changed it to disabled and still the problem persists. the pc's are by no means new. we are looking at ranging ages from 1 to 5 years old. Firewall is off internally. we use Sophos for AV

Thank Post
    no we are not using the Intel management tools

Thank Post
    the weird thing is that everything was fine prior to updated images over the summer. Never had this issue before hand. Could it be the image? if so what could do this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Try device manager > Universal serial bus controllers > pick a root hub or similar and check its power management (turn off allow to sleep) > repeat for all of them
    I have tried that and it still locks up usb upon switch user

Thank Post
    Hi

We had this problem in our school. It was a peice of software that was causing this. I used msconfig to stop services in a methodical manner until i found a service connected to a peice of software causing the issue. The software that was causing our issue was avermedia. It is used to control a "ohp" type device to display physical objects onto the whiteboard.

Hope that helps.... even if it is just a suggestion of working through the services to see if thats the issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunks_ View Post
    Hi

We had this problem in our school. It was a peice of software that was causing this. I used msconfig to stop services in a methodical manner until i found a service connected to a peice of software causing the issue. The software that was causing our issue was avermedia. It is used to control a "ohp" type device to display physical objects onto the whiteboard.

Hope that helps.... even if it is just a suggestion of working through the services to see if thats the issue.
    YOU ARE A LEGEND! Just tried it now as we have that software too. Any idea how I can disable this as a startup service via gpo?

Thank Post
    Glad that worked.... I will be honest with you, they hardly used them here so i ran a script that uninstalled avermedia on every machine. i think i maybe added it back on 1 or 2 machines where they actually used it but they had to suffer the lockups when switching user. It does now appear that more people want it so im sorta in the same boat. Im going to contact AverMedia to see if there is an updated version of the software with a fix for it. I'll let you know how i get on.

Edit

Just found this website . From the drop down you can choose visualisor and the software applications... list of some programs in there, might try one.
    Last edited by Chunks_; 12th September 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Thank Post
    fair enough. Any other ideas to disable a startup item anyone?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast