+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 - do I still need mandatory profile or can GPO do it all? in Technical; Hi, I have migrated a few of our classroom pcs to Windows 7 and have set quite a few GPOs ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 - do I still need mandatory profile or can GPO do it all?

Hi,

I have migrated a few of our classroom pcs to Windows 7 and have set quite a few GPOs to configure them. I have implemented Redirected Desktop for the pupils who will be using these computers in the hope that I can just drop all the shortcuts they need into the redirected folder. I have configured their desktop background via a GPO and (hopefully) prevented them from making any changes to the desktop.

My question is now: do I still need mandatory profiles as I used to have them in XP?

Also, if I want to remove a shortcut from their redirected desktop - do I just delete it from the folder in the redirected shared folder? I tried this with one machine, but the icon remained on the pupil desktop even after I had removed it from the redirected folder ...?!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes you'd still need a mandatory profile - just like in XP it's possible to recreate all the restrictions of an MP via GPO but that's besides the point. Just setup man profiles in the same way. They're faster than roaming profiles anyway, plus you won't need to slow it down further with more GPOs limiting things.

Thank Post
    OK - thanks! Is there a general rule to follow of which settings are done in the mandatory profile and which are done through GPO?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends entirely on your circumstances and what you want to do, but speaking generally if you can put it in the profile, it's better off there. The profile should be as light as possible.
    I tend to have a mandatory profile for certain users (teachers, associate, student) - you could expand that if you liked to 6th form, finance staff etc etc as you see fit. It doesn't matter much at all. One thing to remember is that a mandatory profile is less likely to "not appear" than a GPO They're pretty much hand in hand, one really isn't a replacement for the other.

Thank Post
    If you do the work and discover the reg keys gpo with gpp is better. Roaming isn't too slow as long as you lock it down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    I just wonder why you all want to restrict your users so much with mandatory profiles.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "Roaming isn't too slow" - no, but it creates problems (recreating/resetting profiles? Not any more!) and increases network load especially at logon time.
    Again it's not a one size fits all thing. Mandatory profiles for us enforce good practice, speed up logon times, save us a hell of a lot of time (see above re resetting corrupt profiles) and give everyone an identical user experience, removing so many factors from problems. The amount of times on CC3/CC4 something was untowards because a profile was squiffy was beyond a joke. Again, so much time saved because we didn't have to try and diagnose what was failing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I just wonder why you all want to restrict your users so much with mandatory profiles.

Ben
    In my case, I am used to using mandatory profiles with XP as a way of ensuring a fresh desktop each time the pupils log in which contains all the program shortcuts/printers etc that they need. Previously, with Windows 95/98 I would spend half my day sorting out desktops, renaming/arranging icons and putting the Start bar back where it should be and making it a normal size again - so mandatory profiles were a god-send!!

I have found with Win7 and GPOs/redirected folders that I can achieve most of the same functionality, so thought I could abandon profiles altogether .... but perhaps I do still need them after all ... I just need to see which settings I configure in the profile and which I do via a GPO/GPP.

So, in answer to your question Ben - it's not so much that I want to restrict my users, I just want to give a consistent look to the desktop and to prevent it being meddled with ....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Redirected desktops worked fine for us with XP clients and we've kept the same setup moving forward to Win7.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can abandon profiles if you so wish - I believe there's a fair few people happy to use local profiles. All you need to do there is to embed the default profile you wish into your system image and you're good to go. Not quite as convenient but then it's mostly GPO managed.

Thank Post
    What I've done, is keep the mandatory profiles, but use Group Policy for as much as I possibly can. I done very few customisations for settings etc to our mandatory profile.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread