+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, WDS - Windows 7 Deployment in Technical; Hi, I've finally getting round to deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. I have installed 7 and entered Audit mode and ...
    Thank Post

WDS - Windows 7 Deployment

Hi,

I've finally getting round to deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. I have installed 7 and entered Audit mode and installed all needed drivers and applications.
    I have captured this with WDS and have create a WDSUnattend.xml and OOBEUnattend.xml and have specified them to the Image in WDS.

When this image is deployed to a client, all application are installed but I have the following issues:

1. Copy Profile does not seem to have run. All applications need to be configured. I did specify this in OOBEUnattend.xml but should this be in a file before the image is captured?
    2. KMS will not activate, I shouldn't have to specify a KMS client key as it's using Enterprise Edition
    3. Office 2013 Professional Plus does not activate in KMS either..

If anyone can help with these issues, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks,

Michael

Thank Post
    Sorry, can't help much with your current setup. I would advise you to look into integrating with MDT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linkazoid View Post
    Hi,

I've finally getting round to deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. I have installed 7 and entered Audit mode and installed all needed drivers and applications.
    I have captured this with WDS and have create a WDSUnattend.xml and OOBEUnattend.xml and have specified them to the Image in WDS.

When this image is deployed to a client, all application are installed but I have the following issues:

1. Copy Profile does not seem to have run. All applications need to be configured. I did specify this in OOBEUnattend.xml but should this be in a file before the image is captured?
    2. KMS will not activate, I shouldn't have to specify a KMS client key as it's using Enterprise Edition
    3. Office 2013 Professional Plus does not activate in KMS either..

If anyone can help with these issues, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks,

Michael
    I've never used audit mode in the creation or maintenance of my images. Copy Profile works for me, but I do things differently. On the base machine I enabled the local administrator account, and created a second local admin account to work out of. The only time I go into the built-in administrator account is to make changes I want to show up in the default user profile.

Use this key in your answer profile: 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH

Now as far as Office is concerned, do you have any Office installs that activate properly outside of your image? If you haven't met the requirement for unique requests on the KMS server it won't activate, and unless you rearm Office every time you capture the image the KMS server will not see every Office install as unique. See this thread: Office 2010 Re-arm / Duplicate CMID

4. Thanks to Duke5A from:

linkazoid (13th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Cheers for your help Duke5A.

I've just recaptured the image with your suggestions. I have created an unattend.xml with the CopyProfile=true and used this with sysprep.

I still have the following in my ImageUnattend.xml for my Image in WDS.
    Code:
    <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
                <RegisteredOrganization>George Green&apos;s School</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Authorised User</RegisteredOwner>
                <TimeZone>UTC</TimeZone>
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
            </component>
    Does this need to be removed as, i've already specified this in the sysprep file?

Thanks,

Mike

Thank Post
    GRRRR.... Microsoft are now informing me that there is no way for the profile that I have prepared as an Administrator to be copied to the default user. They are informing that I am to inform my users that they need to configure the software for themselves!!!

Is anyone able to let me know what I am doing wrong. I'm only trying make the profile be applied to the default user after syspreping and deploying the image. This was such a simple task when deploying XP.

Michael

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @linkazoid: Sorry, I've been out for the last few days. The unattended XML in WDS you specify will trump the XML you use during sysprep. As far as the default user issue goes, this is exactly how I have mind setup.

- I build my images in virtual machines. In my Windows 7 Enterprise x64 image I have two local users setup: one is the default local administrator account (this one has to be enabled) and the second is one that was created during the initial install of Windows. This second account is the one that I work out of and I only log into the default local administrator account to make changes in its profile that I want to be present in the default user profile. Whatever you do, do not join your base image to the domain. Let sysprep do it for you after cloning.

- Here is a complete copy of the XML that I use (confidential bits removed of course):

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="windowsPE">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SetupUILanguage>
                    <UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
                </SetupUILanguage>
                <InputLocale>en-us</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-us</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguageFallback>en-us</UILanguageFallback>
                <UserLocale>en-us</UserLocale>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <UserData>
                    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
                    <FullName>Your Organization</FullName>
                    <Organization>Your Organization</Organization>
                </UserData>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DisableAccelerators>true</DisableAccelerators>
                <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
                <DisableOOBAccelerators>true</DisableOOBAccelerators>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
                <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
                <ProductKey>33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH</ProductKey>
                <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Identification>
                    <Credentials>
                        <Domain>yourdomain.com</Domain>
                        <Password>password</Password>
                        <Username>JoinComputer</Username>
                    </Credentials>
                    <JoinDomain>yourdomain.com</JoinDomain>
                    <MachineObjectOU>OU=Win7,OU=ComputersWDS,DC=yourdomain,DC=com</MachineObjectOU>
                </Identification>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <InputLocale>en-us</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-us</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguageFallback>en-us</UILanguageFallback>
                <UserLocale>en-us</UserLocale>
            </component>
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>password</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </Password>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <LogonCount>1</LogonCount>
                    <Username>SecondAdminAccount</Username>
                </AutoLogon>
                <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
                            <Password>
                                <Value>password</Value>
                                <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                            </Password>
                            <DisplayName>SecondAdminAccount</DisplayName>
                            <Group>Administrators</Group>
                            <Name>SecondAdminAccount</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <FirstLogonCommands>
                    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
                        <Order>5</Order>
                        <CommandLine>C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\ClientSideClonePrepTool.exe</CommandLine>
                        <Description>Blank HW ID from Symantec Client</Description>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
                        <CommandLine>cmd /q /c del /Q /F c:\windows\system32\sysprep\Win7ENTx64.xml</CommandLine>
                        <Description>Delete XML answer file</Description>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>2</Order>
                        <CommandLine>cmd /q /c del /Q /F c:\windows\panther\unattend.xml</CommandLine>
                        <Description>Delete XML answer file</Description>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>3</Order>
                        <CommandLine>&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPREARM.EXE&quot;</CommandLine>
                        <Description>Rearm Office</Description>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                        <Order>4</Order>
                        <Description>Activate Office</Description>
                        <CommandLine>cscript &quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs&quot; /act</CommandLine>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                </FirstLogonCommands>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:f:/sources/install_windows 7 enterprise.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    - Some of these settings won't apply to you, but this is the entire XML I use. In the first logon commands section I would leave the two entries that delete the XML answer file from the image. Sysprep doesn't clean up after itself like it did in XP. The bottom two entries for rearming and activating Office you might want to keep too. The topmost entry you can remove if you're not using Symantec Endpoint for your anti-virus.

- In the section that joins the machine to the domain, feel free to remove the MachineObjectOU line. This will place the computer account in an OU you specify as opposed to creating it in the default computer OU in AD. I did this because I wanted freshly imaged machines to have their own policies. I've got lower level techs that needed to be able to image and have local admin to those machines without giving them domain administrator access.

- Windows and Office have limitations as to how many times they can be rearmed. This is why I build the image in a virtual machine so I can use snapshots and go back to a state right before sysprep was ran.

I hope this helps...
    Last edited by Duke5A; 19th August 2013 at 02:51 PM.

8. Thanks to Duke5A from:

linkazoid (18th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread