+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, To cripple Windows 7 in Technical; Morning, I have a member of staff with a Windows 7 x64 laptop who is due to leave in a ...
    Thank Post

To cripple Windows 7

Morning,
    I have a member of staff with a Windows 7 x64 laptop who is due to leave in a weeks time. Now it looks like they are not best pleased at going and has started playing the "my contract runs to the end of August so I am keeping my laptop until then" but its the norm to return it at the end of term and they have got my back up with their attitude and as your all aware, network managers are silly people to upset so my question is this...

How do I cause her laptop to fail while making it look like an accident?

I used to be great at this in XP. The odd file removed from system32 would cause all sorts of havoc upon reboot but wonder if any of you know what to tweak to cause a failure to reboot while only removing files remotely on Windows 7? I could disable the account but that's going to be blindingly obvious. A nice black screen upon reboot will do the trick nicely.
    When they ask for a repair they can have a nice loan machine of my choosing while I work hard to "fix their laptop" although I have a feeling its going to take more than a week to fix.

Thanks all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Delete the windows folder. It will fail but will delete key files so it wont be able to be repaired.

You should get your SLT to recall the laptop. It wasn't issued to them until the end of contract in the first place.

Thank Post
    Im doing this off my own back because I fear if I go to the higher ups they may say let them keep it for a quiet life. I will start work on the Windows folder shortly (little per day) but if anyone knows the golden file to delete then please shout.

Thank Post
    If you can remotely connect to their registry, randomly start deleting keys should do it. If you are selective about what you delete you can make it start to glitch but not be unusable and then just stop.

Thank Post
    Why worry about it looking like an accident?

Disable the computer and user account on the last day. Computer and user accounts get disabled at the last day because they are no longer timetabled for teaching and the laptops are for teaching purposes. Its the schools laptop and is not part of a contractual commitment on behalf of the school.

Thank Post
    get the AV to do a scan and schedule disk defrags!

Thank Post
    im hoping to break it mid next week but may set the AV from stun to kill to build it up. Problem with doing it on last day is they just take it anyway. I would be happy they wouldn't be able to use it but they would still have it.

Thank Post
    Whilst its still on the network, get as scheduled task to remove the KMS/MAK key - not re-arm it - it will then lock her out until she gets a valid MAK / KMS key

Another would be to schedule the drive to run BitLocker and encrypt the C: Drive

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't you force the screen resolution higher than it's allowed?

[Theoretical shenanigans]

You're looking for "Display1_DownScalingSupported" in the registry. [Can't remember the exact key] Set it to 1 [<- Possibly not this. It's too early to BOFH properly.]

Then set the resolution really high. ["HKLM\System\Currentcontrolset\Control\Video"]

And tweak the refresh rate while you're at it.

Hopefully, the laptop will either show a partial desktop [because it's stretched past the limits of the screen] or just display "Out of range".

Don't forget to disable changing the resolution for regular users.

Le EDIT: Mess about with "DefaultSettings.XPanning" and "DefaultSettings.YPanning" [Under "HKLM\System\Currentcontrolset\Control\Video" with the resolution.]
    Last edited by X-13; 11th July 2013 at 10:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Change power options so that it sleeps every few seconds on battery or on power and when CPU is at a 'normal' level
    Reghack the "Run" key so that when anyone logs in it instantly logs them off

easy enough to screw up the BCD - just edit it to point the boot location to, say, the floppy disk
    Last edited by Gatt; 11th July 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Change power options so that it sleeps every few seconds on battery or on power and when CPU is at a 'normal' level
    Set a startup script to reboot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The single best method on any version of Windows is to rename any of the files in this folder:

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\config
    You should be able to do that remotely. Favourites are the SECURITY, SOFTWARE or SYSTEM files. Stops Windows loading the registry on boot and causes a nice black screen error message to appear. Give the teacher some waffle about "ooh, look like your hard drive is failing". Take laptop, rename file, all working again - thank you very much

Thank Post
    use group policy to deny local logon to members of the staff (or whatever group)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, don't you see just how silly this thread is? You're talking about sabotaging someone's PC. On a publicly accessible, indexed, search engine crawled forum. I don't care how awkward this member of staff is being, you're leaving yourself open for trouble and frankly I'm amazed that anyone else is taking the time to help him. This is unprofessional and downright childish.

I would strongly suggest that you delete this thread before someone in your management sees it and you get yourself into trouble.
    Last edited by Norphy; 11th July 2013 at 11:15 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You don't need to do any of this. If you suspect they are going to steal the laptop or do something to damage your data or infrastructure then you have every right to intervene. If the higher-ups want the easy life, make them aware that if a leaving member of staff walks off-site with a laptop containing personal and protected information, doesn't return it and proceeds to leak said data then there will be no easy life but a rather hefty fine. Even if they have no malicious intent, they still pose a risk as they may get complacent and think "Oh, I don't need to follow these guidelines anymore. What will they do, fire me? Nothing will happen."

You need to refer to the procedures and policies set in place for leavers and confidential data. You should already have some as part of data protection policies, if not you need to sort some out!

And before they argue, assessment and tracking spreadsheets are covered by the DPA.

16. Thanks to CAM from:

simpsonj (11th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast