+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, To cripple Windows 7 in Technical; I can see where you are coming from @ Norphy , but this can also be helpful if someone has ...

Thank Post
    I can see where you are coming from @Norphy, but this can also be helpful if someone has deliberately not returned a laptop

Perhaps the OP is speaking hypothetically and isn't actually wanting to do what he or she is seeking advice on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I can see where you are coming from @Norphy, but this can also be helpful if someone has deliberately not returned a laptop

Perhaps the OP is speaking hypothetically and isn't actually wanting to do what he or she is seeking advice on.
    TBH, this is giving me ideas for when I need to get laptops back to do updates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts

I hope not too given that his or her name can possibly be guessed.
    If the member of staff's contract does not finish at the end of term, and there is no official agreement to hand in a laptop ("the norm" doesn't really work) then that staff member is entitled to keep the laptop, surely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    TBH, this is giving me ideas for when I need to get laptops back to do updates.
    with that i just add add an annoying popup message to their startup folder so everytime they logon they get a notepad message saying IT needs your laptop asap or words to that effect

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I hope not too given that his or her name can possibly be guessed.
    If the member of staff's contract does not finish at the end of term, and there is no official agreement to hand in a laptop ("the norm" doesn't really work) then that staff member is entitled to keep the laptop, surely?
    The laptop belongs to the school, they have no contractual obligation to even supply it in the first place. Therefore if the school wants it back, they can get it back. The staff member is just trying to use contracts to bamboozle management into blagging a free laptop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    "the norm" doesn't really work
    That depends on what "the norm" means.

If it means "the usual rules are" then I'd disagree.

Changing the rules because a member of staff is whinging isn't fair on the rest.

Thank Post
    This is where KMS could have been really really useful

At present it only deactivcates after 90 days after it cannot find your KMS server
    WOuld hva been nice to be able to force an immediate deactivation for a client - (KMS Server -> Microsoft -> Client sorta thing)

Thank Post
    Reading the OP - the user in question is stating (hypothetically!) that they intend to keep their laptop until the end of their contract

Now, the user may actually be entitled to keep said laptop - it all depends on the users contract as well as the employers IT policy - which usually says something along the lines of providing use of IT facilities (software, network resources, hardware) for the duration of their tenure with the company

If that is the case then unfortunately, said use is fully within their contracted rights to keep said laptop until they officially leave employment..

Thank Post
    This is where KMS could have been really really useful

At present it only deactivcates after 90 days after it cannot find your KMS server
    WOuld hva been nice to be able to force an immediate deactivation for a client - (KMS Server -> Microsoft -> Client sorta thing)
    iirc you can if you use vamt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This all comes down to what was agreed with the staff member and SMT. If they agreed that the laptop was usable by the teacher until the end of the contract then that's it really.

This is why our AUP states that staff laptops can be recalled at any point. All departing staff members have their laptops recalled before the end of term.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 11th July 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Now, the user may actually be entitled to keep said laptop - it all depends on the users contract as well as the employers IT policy - which usually says something along the lines of providing use of IT facilities (software, network resources, hardware) for the duration of their tenure with the company

If that is the case then unfortunately, said use is fully within their contracted rights to keep said laptop until they officially leave employment..
    Teachers have laptop use written into their contracts these days?

With the KMS plan, I thought falling out of the scope didn't particularly reduce functionality - don't you just get a warning?

Thank Post
    Schedule a task to run a .bat which renames some key files?

Thank Post
    @LeMarchand - It will fall back to the grace period, and then if still not reactivated, it will get stuck on screen forcing activation

Thank Post
    @LeMarchand - It will fall back to the grace period, and then if still not reactivated, it will get stuck on screen forcing activation
    OK. I just have a vague memory of one teacher complaining that her laptop kept flashing warnings at her and it turning out that she permanently kept it at home. I thought it was just that she found the warnings annoying, as she never stated that she couldn't use it. Of course, a lot of fuss was made about having to bring the machine into school to authenticate!

Thank Post
    this is all hypothetical of course.

Should this happen then a temp replacement laptop will be issues but unfortunately cant guarantee it will be brand new. Thanks for responses people. Funny thing is i quite like the person but anyone who decides to mess with my summer plans is in for a shock.

btw its not an obligation to provide laptops. We just do because it helps the teaching but can call them in at any time.
    Last edited by robjduk; 11th July 2013 at 12:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast