+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, More GPP fun with IE10 in Technical; I'm currently rolling out IE10 on my Windows 7 workstations this summer. I already had GPP setup and it appeared ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

More GPP fun with IE10

I'm currently rolling out IE10 on my Windows 7 workstations this summer. I already had GPP setup and it appeared everything was working as intended. Well, one of the additions to the image this round is Google Chrome. I had it set in GPO to pull proxy settings from Windows, and I've noticed if you logon to a machine and open Chrome first it doesn't use the proxy. If you open IE it'll work and then Chrome functions. Near as I can tell the GPP for setting proxy settings isn't being applied to Windows until you actually open Internet Explorer. Has anyone else come across this? Thanks...

Thank Post
    Don't use Chrome, but a work-around might be to use a GPP (or scripted) registry merge which should apply at log on.

Thank Post
    Don't know how helpful this is as its been a while since we removed Chrome from the network but Policy Templates - The Chromium Projects has ADMX Group policy templates for Chrome and am sure you can set the proxy on them independently from IE.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, the problem isn't with Chrome itself; it's only because of it that I discovered the issue. Windows itself doesn't have system proxy settings until IE is opened up when using GPP to dish proxy settings with IE10. I'm curious if anyone else has discovered this or can even reproduce it. I've already changed the Chrome GPO to specify proxy settings (instead of pulling them from Windows) as a work around. The problem is I've got other pieces of software beside browsers that rely on the computer having proper proxy settings. This is driving me nuts....

Thank Post
    The GPP you mention for IE10 is setup through a Windows 8/Server 2012 machine with RSAT I assume?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cscc View Post
    The GPP you mention for IE10 is setup through a Windows 8/Server 2012 machine with RSAT I assume?
    Sure is, a Windows 8 Enterprise install with RSAT. It is a completely separate policy and I haven't touched it with anything besides said laptop. It does work though, but only when IE is initially fired up on the client.

Thank Post
    That is very strange indeed. Maybe worth trying to create an additional GPP for an older browser type IE8/9 and seeing if the problem still replicates.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread