+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, disable diagnose and repair network connections in Technical; Hi, Recently it seems that pupils have been able to access diagnose and repair network connections. We have run this ...

Thank Post

disable diagnose and repair network connections

Hi,
    Recently it seems that pupils have been able to access diagnose and repair network connections.
    We have run this as admin and it removes and reinstalls the wifi card.
    This then also removes the wifi settings and the next user cannot logon as the laptop cannot access the wifi!
    Is there anyway to disable diagnose and repair network connections?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure as its meant to head low end users not break but try getting the wizard up and finding which exe is running. You could then use AD to deploy file permissions denying pupils but allowing admins/system/staff.
    No idea if it would work or if the computer would implode though....

Thank Post
    I think you should be able to do this with group policy:
    User Config\Admin Templates\Network\Network Connections

There're a few there that might help:
    "Prohibit Enabling/Disabling components of a LAN connection"
    "Ability to Enable/Disable a LAN connection"
    "Prohibit access to properties of a LAN connection"

I'm not 100% sure to be honest and haven't got chance to check it on ours, but give it a go

Thank Post
    Thanks, we already have these set and as normal they cannot access the network settings or change anything. They cannot even open network and sharing, but sometimes the taskbar icon shows (normally hidden) saying connected to network, no internet connection. This is due to the type of connection we have going through the LA and various proxies etc windows cannot always detect the internet. When this pops up, it allows users to click troubleshoot why there is not internet connection. This then runs the windows wizard/tool which removes and re-installs the network card to try and establish a connection to the internet.
    We have also seen that this can reset internet options and remove the proxy settings, but this is reset when the GPs reapply, but the wifi settings/encryption key is not restored and left blank. We then have to either log on locally or with the LAN cable.

Thank Post
    Ahh, my bad, got you.

What about disabling all balloon notifications?
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar - "Turn off all balloon notifications"

That should stop the balloons popping up. We've got them disabled here and haven't had any issues, although if you do have anything that relies on them it might be worth checking first.

In addition, we also hide the notification area - "Hide the notification area" under the same path as above. It does have the downside on laptops of them not being able to see the battery meter, but we altered the power settings slightly so they get a bit more warning of a low battery.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll give that I go when I get time. But like you said, i'll have to check if anything uses the balloon popup. most things are hidden from the notification area but battery is shown. Even with the warning 10% left or whatever is set they do not pay any attention to that or the flashing LED and still bring them up expecting us to recover work they have not saved! We have now changed them to hibernate rather than shutdown, so hopefully their work is saved!

Thank Post
    i assume it shows up with an exclamation mark and is win 7 thinking ooh no internet because of a poxy server?

if so theres a gpo for that as well

computer policies\policies\admin templates\network\network connections\do not show the "local access only" network icon

Thank Post
    Thanks sted, that sounds like it will do the trick. dont know how i've missed that setting. been looking through gps for ages.

Thank Post
    Looks like sted's will solve it, but may as well post this anyway

I was just going through our GPOs for a tidy-up when I found one that made me think of this thread:
    User config\admin templates\Start Menu and Taskbar -> "Remove the networking icon"
    as it says, completely removes the network icon altogether from the systray, which could be good!

Thank Post
    Thanks Valyyn,
    sted's did work.
    Ours is setup to remove the network icon which does when it has a successful connection, however, if the connection is lost (i.e. removal of cable) or local access only (cannot detect internet through a proxy) these still show in the system tray.
    This is where pupils are clicking the helpful troubleshoot the connection... and breaking it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread