+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Firefox Default Profile Settings in Technical; Hi. I'm setting up a couple of teacher laptops, and getting the settings running so that they can use internet ...

Thank Post

Firefox Default Profile Settings

Hi.

I'm setting up a couple of teacher laptops, and getting the settings running so that they can use internet explorer at home (i.e. no proxy), and then use firefox when in school (have the proxy set up).

Now, I've got the settings from the prefs.js file, but how do I go about making them the defaults?! I've seen lots of stuff around the internet about doing it, but they all seem to be quite old, and I'm guessing not compatible with the latest versions, as nothing seems to have worked...

I have managed to get it going by just copying the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla folder to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming, but then all users have the same xxxxxx.default folder. Not sure if that makes any difference or not?!

So, what's the best way to create the default settings? Anyone?! lol

Thank Post
    Backup the profile you wish to use (as you've done) then launch FF from the start bar with -ProfileManager after it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -ProfileManager" then create profile and browse to the profile in which you created obviously making this profile default by deleting the other profiles and naming this (which I think it does anyway) default
    Last edited by shabbaranks; 4th July 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbaranks View Post
    Backup the profile you wish to use (as you've done) then launch FF from the start bar with -ProfileManager after it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -ProfileManager" then create profile and browse to the profile in which you created obviously making this profile default by deleting the other profiles and naming this (which I think it does anyway) default
    Thanks for that.. Have had a quick look at it though, and it appears that this allows you to create different profiles for the one user account... I was talking about making it default for all user accounts... Currently, I am in audit mode, create the image for the laptops. So, I want to create it, so that when a user receives their machine, they go through the setup wizard etc, and create their own account. From here, the profile they create will get default settings of mozilla firefox, which has the internet proxy server already filled in... Hopefully this is a little clearer now?

Looks like I'll just have to do it the default profile way...

Thank Post
    just wondering. Are you only using firefox because you cannot get IE to do both? and also have you thought about trying chrome?

If you could not get it going with IE youll want to look up .pac files and chrome has group policy ADMX files which you can use to customise this. Say in 6 months, something happens and the proxy settings need to be changed. Will this be viable the way you are currently trying? or is that something for future lovelldr to worry about? :P

Thank Post
    Thanks for the comments above...

Have now gone ahead and setup wpad on the server to use automatic proxy discovery...

Took about 4 hours though, because the stupid script I wrote was encoded wrong, and couldn't be parsed properly... But there was me thinking it was the settings on the server...

Anyway, all sorted now, and staff can use laptops inside and outside of school and I don't have to worry about it proxy server changes, as I can do it all on the server...

Cheers...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread