+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Is this possible? group policy restriction on computers but for diff security groups in Technical; Hi, We are restructuring our domain for windows 7. We have created some new policys to help organise things better. ...

Thank Post

Is this possible? group policy restriction on computers but for diff security groups

Hi,
    We are restructuring our domain for windows 7.
    We have created some new policys to help organise things better.

Staff Computer Policies
    Staff Computer Preferences
    Student Computer Policies
    Student Computer Preferences

which are applied to an OU which just has the windows 7 computers in.

Both staff and student will have different computer policys. I have tried to use security filtering, to allow students to the student ones, and staff to the staff ones, but when you log on, they do not get applied and say disabled. I have tried deneing a group to apply the policy, but still all of them wether logged in as student or staff get denied applied - Access Denied (Security Filtering).

I have the same setup for 4 for users, and restricted it the same way, OU with users who are using win7, and it is being applied as espected.

any ideas? anyone done this? thanks

is it possible to have one computer OU, and apply different computer policies depending on the user group? if so how?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zbjsy View Post
    Hi,
    We are restructuring our domain for windows 7.
    We have created some new policys to help organise things better.

Staff Computer Policies
    Staff Computer Preferences
    Student Computer Policies
    Student Computer Preferences

which are applied to an OU which just has the windows 7 computers in.

Both staff and student will have different computer policys. I have tried to use security filtering, to allow students to the student ones, and staff to the staff ones, but when you log on, they do not get applied and say disabled. I have tried deneing a group to apply the policy, but still all of them wether logged in as student or staff get denied applied - Access Denied (Security Filtering).

I have the same setup for 4 for users, and restricted it the same way, OU with users who are using win7, and it is being applied as espected.

any ideas? anyone done this? thanks

is it possible to have one computer OU, and apply different computer policies depending on the user group? if so how?
    (going off memory here). I think you need to change permissions on the gpo to apply group policy to the group "domain computers" and then add the user group you want too (eg staff). Make sure "authenticated Users" is not set to haev the policy applied as this includes all domain computers and all domain users.

This way the computer portion of the policy is applied to all computers in the ou but the user portion of the policy is only applied to the correct user group.

Thank Post
    i dont quite follow, can you expand some more ?

Thank Post
    i dont quite follow, can you expand some more ?
    my apologies, i think i misunderstood your question. You want your staff and student computers in the same ou but to filter which policy is applied to the computer based on which user logs in? this wont be possible as computer policy processing is applied before any user can login.

I would put two sub-OUs inside your computers ou, one for staff and one for students.

Thank Post
    many thanks, yes you are correct. thats what i was trying to avoid

Thank Post
    Can't you just have a Staff GPO and a Student GPO; each within the Organisation Unit where the corresponding accounts reside (Staff OU, Student OU). Then set the required Computers Policies and Preferences within each, and change the GPO Scope WMI Filtering for Windows 7.

And then for an unique policies/preferences specifically for a computer (e.g. Printer Mapping etc); create another GPO for that computer (or the OU it resides within) and remember to enable User Group Policy loopback processing mode to enable. (Under Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy)

Thank Post
    many thanks, yes you are correct. thats what i was trying to avoid
    out of curiosity, why would you want to set it up this way? i find seperate OUs a hell of a lot easier to manage then trying to setup a complicated permissions based structure in group policy.

Thank Post
    problem is when a staff member logs onto a student computer, they will get the student computer policies applied

Thank Post
    problem is when a staff member logs onto a student computer, they will get the student computer policies applied
    yes this is true, perhaps you would be best trying to apply as much of your policies at user level rather than computer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenden View Post
    out of curiosity, why would you want to set it up this way? i find seperate OUs a hell of a lot easier to manage then trying to setup a complicated permissions based structure in group policy.
    rethinking outside the box, our current structure is like that, sub ou's classroom ou's etc.. have the option to redesign, so why not look at alternatives

Thank Post
    rethinking outside the box, our current structure is like that, sub ou's classroom ou's etc.. have the option to redesign, so why not look at alternatives
    fair enough, we ll to my knowledge i dont think it can be done this way since computer policies are applied earlier. I can only think to move your policies to user based rather than computer based.

12. Thanks to Zenden from:

zbjsy (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    I agree with Zenden, an OU structure is easier to manage. I have something like;
    Staffusers
    Staffcomps
    Studentusers
    Studentcomps

Then sub OUs based on building / lab etc, this allows me to target the policy. I then can disable half of each policy that is disable the user section of a computer policy, and computer section of a user policy. This reduces policy processing times, but with today’s computers I don’t think you’d see a big difference.

However it is possible to accomplish what you want with a little administrative overhead.
    Create security groups for each set of computers and Users then apply your security settings to that group.

Also are your computers, and users in the same OU? If not you’ll need to apply the policy to both OU’s or enable loopback processing.

Hope this helps,

Thank Post
    While i agree with the others that an OU Structure is way easier to do what you can do is

Make a AD Group Called "Staff Computers" then in the OU or using a powershell script, add all the staff computers into the "Staff Computers" Group then in Group Policy Management click on the Staff Group Policy and Remove "Authenticated Users" then Add your "Staff Computers" and possibly Staff users groups too.

I have done something similar for windows 8 where i still have OU Structure but had to do this to enable our admin account to work properly still as the GP I have on there uses Loopback processing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread