+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Disable function key in Technical; Im looking for ideally a group policy fix as we have student's turning off the wifi on netbooks which then ...

Thank Post

Disable function key

Im looking for ideally a group policy fix as we have student's turning off the wifi on netbooks which then causes problems for the next lot of students who try and login so my thinking is by disabling the function key they wont be able to.Any ideas ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Not used netbooks but I presume they have a BIOS of some description whether UEFI or similar. Think on at least normal laptops / notebooks there is an option to disable the physical switch from turning the wireless devices on or off and then just password protect the bios ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not used netbooks but I presume they have a BIOS of some description whether UEFI or similar. Think on at least normal laptops / notebooks there is an option to disable the physical switch from turning the wireless devices on or off and then just password protect the bios ?
    Not here. We have the same issue (either that, or aliens) and there's nothing in the BIOS to disable the FN keys (Lenovo S10-3's), plus there's always the physical switch (which admittedly we could purposefully break, but we'd rather not..)

I, too, would be very interested to learn if there's a GP or script-based solution to this so we could roll it out to all of the laptops

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I'd like one too - although it is the teachers who seem to manage to turn off the wireless, or the trackpad, by touching the correct keys by accident!

Thank Post
    what make and model of netbooks are they ? May be worth while booking a call with the manufacturer, they will most likely give you the best answer on how to disable FN keys ( if possible ).

I did find pressing FN + NumLock should disable it but then if the students google it , they may find another key press to re enable them ie FN + F11 or the likes ?

Different makes of netbooks seem to have different key strokes to disable / enable the FN Keys
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 14th June 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Samsung and Stone, spoken to the companies in question and they seem to think its doable via windows but wont give any direction.

Thank Post
    Only way im aware of ( at least in windows ) is if you make a utility via vb dot net / c# dot net or another programming language and using the ( I believe ) is the low level keyboard API and establishing what ascii key codes the relevant key combination produces and blocking those specific key codes

One way

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...-key-in-vb-net
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th June 2013 at 10:40 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread