Hi All,

We use System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 to provide on demand applications and software metering to Windows 7 SP1 X86 (WSUS, imaging is handled entirely independently).

This year, we had a progressive slowdown of PCs. I've eliminated hardware, software, networking, the base image, home directory shares, WSUS/updates, etc. This leaves with applications and printer drivers.

We did discover the service hosting WMI was very busy, then discovered the WMI database

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository\OBJECTS.DATA

was large - 500Mb. (by contrast, out-of-the-box Windows 7 SP1 x86 is about 15Mb). Microsoft's WMIDIAG
Download The WMI Diagnosis Utility -- Version 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center considers +300MB as very large.

WMI is queried by and published to by lots of different parts of the system; slow WMI, slow system.

We have some PCs with SSDs, but the WMI file is some sort of database that I don't think was ever engineered to scale to these sizes. Hence even a fast physical disk won't resolve this.

I've been doing some deeper analysis based on

Troubleshooting WMI Repository Bloat - System Center Blog by Russ Slaten - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Troubleshooting WMI Repository Bloat - System Center Blog by Russ Slaten - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I've gathered some data and wondered if I could share it with colleagues, with the hope that if I show you mine you'll show me yours...

Have put up my own data, and methods to gather the data, at

http://sdrv.ms/15VGdUM

Would *really* appreciate replies. Am not familiar with this stuff, and only done it at my current employer, so I have no "context" of what's OK and what's not.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Anwar