+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Desktop Logon Optimization and speed / Mandatory Profiles - My Setup in Technical; are you not preserving permissions Chris? I had assumed this would be needed for the profile to work?...
    Thank Post
    are you not preserving permissions Chris? I had assumed this would be needed for the profile to work?

Thank Post
    not at the moment, I'm just letting windows use the default permissions.

It works fine as it prevents and permanent changes to the profile since it is .man
    even if you delete things off the desktop or add other junk on, these are not written back at logoff.

I didn't want to start copying permissions as well at this stage, just to try and avoid any access issues. even if the pupils do manage to modify the profile it will be re-synchronised at next boot.

3. Thanks to Chris_Jones from:

Zenden (2nd October 2013)

Thank Post
    I tried this method a few months ago without much luck, although, to be fair, I didn't give it enough time.
    To clarify: you are using one .man profile for multiple users?
    What are you using to make the profile 'generic'? I was getting errors about the profile loading (in balloon pop ups by the clock) and windows said it had only loaded a temporary profile.

Have you tried specifying the profile location in active directory users and computers on the individual user, rather than for the whole machine in group policy? Does that work?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I think I will need more info eean. I am following a standard method for creating a mandatory profile that you would follow if you held the profile anywhere else, the only difference is that it is on the C Drive rather than on the network. Sounds to me like the profile was corrupt somehow. Have you tried manually copying the profile onto a pc as a test rather than doing it through gpo script?

It also shouldn't matter where you specify the profile path, I just wanted it to apply to all users who use the machine as I am applying this setup only to PCs which are treated like hotdesks with people swapping and changing (eg IT Suites, Teacher PCs in classrooms). I didn't want it to always apply to certain users as they are given more freedom to customise their configurations on their own PCs in their offices or on their own laptops.

Definitely sounds to me like the issue is with the profile itself rather than anything specific about this setup.

Thank Post
    just a little more info regarding the profile and making it 'generic'. Hopefully this clarifys it a little.

If you host a mandatory profile on your server eg \\server\profiles\profile1 then when someone logs in the PC copies \\server\profiles\profile1 to c:\users\username\ and then that folder is theirs to use but when they logoff changes aren't saved. The process is no different in this case, it is just copied from c:\profiles (or wherever you are putting it) to C:\Users\username . Once it is copied, only then does the user interact with the profile and only on their specific copy.

So their shouldn't need any extra work to keep it generic other than standard mandatory profile setup.

Does that make sense?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will hasten to point out that in some cases the above isn't entirely true - profiles can and will often partially "hang around" if files do get changed in there, often ones from appdata if it's not redirected; then there's always some rogue little bits of software (Cubase is a bugger for this) that write to it and prevent it from getting cleared at logoff. Although it deletes the necessary stuff like desktop, documents etc, it keeps enough behind often to stop the folder being deleted and also the registry profile list, commonly leaving behind those nasty username username.domain username.domain.000 etc folders in your Users folder.
    Delprof2 is wonderful, though!
    Just a brief warning to be wary

8. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Zenden (3rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Fair point, but that would just mean that the users "copy" had changes that stick around, it wouldn't affect the central/original copy which is what I think eean was asking (unless I have misunderstood!) and would be an issue no matter where the central profile is stored. My setup (and this thread in general) is specifically about how hosting the profile on the c drive and a few tweaks to the profile and registry can dramatically decrease login times.
    Last edited by Zenden; 3rd October 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you mean decrease, but yeah It's just more to note that profiles won't always cleanly delete and to watch out for it where appopriate

11. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Zenden (3rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    post edited - that will teach me for not proof reading my posts!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12