+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Stop Students Embedding .exe in Powerpoint in Technical; Hi All, We are being plagued at the moment with students playing Minecraft in lessons. We have blocked the .exe ...
    ALR

Thank Post

Angry Stop Students Embedding .exe in Powerpoint

Hi All,

We are being plagued at the moment with students playing Minecraft in lessons. We have blocked the .exe from running and have denied any student saving a .exe on their home folders. The little darlings are now embedding the .exe into a Powerpoint presentation then running it from there and it is working. Does anyone know how to block .exes running from within Powerpoint? I've done a Google around and have searched forums but have found nothing that would suit.

We are running Windows 7 32-bit on clients, Office 2010 and our domain is Server 2008 R2.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Al

Thank Post
    The exe surely runs from some temporary location - could you track this (experiment yourself and use taskmgr command line to see where exe is running from) and block the temp location running?

ALR

Thank Post
    When we look into the Powerpoint file, the exe file location point to the temporary AppData on the local profile of one of our student users. The location just says C:\Users\09Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Filename.ex e but the file does not exist on the PC I am testing on so it must be getting the source from the local profile of another PC somewhere on the network. The thing I do not understand is all our Student accounts have mandatory profiles.

Thank Post
    When you are testing and run the file, does it run? If so, check the temp folder in appdata on the user you're testing with. If this is the case, I'd put a software restriction in place for c:\users\*\appdata\local\temp\*.exe (which I think is one we have in place here)

Cheers

Will

5. 2 Thanks to Willott:

ALR (24th May 2013), timbo343 (29th May 2013)

Thank Post
    use process monitor to track exactly where and what with the exe file

Thank Post
    However annoying it is, you have to give them some credit for finding a way around the restrictions! Now you just got to find a way of nailing the little b%^&....

ALR

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. We found that the exe was a repackaged exe with a different hash so our GPO blocking the file didn't pick it up. We have added the new exe hash now. Yes you have to give them credit. Some of them are very enterprising little gifts from God! We'll just have to keep our eyes on what they are bringing in....

Cheers chaps!

Al

Thank Post
    One of the reasons we use software restriction policies and whitelists - bit of pain to initially set up but once done work very well at stopping random rubbish being run.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    One of the reasons we use software restriction policies and whitelists - bit of pain to initially set up but once done work very well at stopping random rubbish being run.
    Just enforce applocker

Thank Post
    Hi

I dont think you can stop them embedding the exe but what you can do is.

Stop them seeing the c drive.
    Stop them downloading exe with your proxy
    Stop them running exe files from there area and usb storage devices.
    Stop them running exe file in any shared area for students

Its not perfect but they will find it hard.

Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives

How Software Restriction Policies Work: Group Policy we use path rules

dansguardian default list: mimetype and extention this is how danguardian does it but might give you some ideas.

Richard
    Last edited by ricki; 25th May 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you guys are going about this the wrong way. You're looking for technical solutions to something that is ultimately a disciplinary issue. You can eventually reach a point where you can box them in to where they can't do these sorts of things, but management becomes a pain and the functionality of the machines is hampered. Start out with handing lunch detentions out like candy and move on from there if the problem persists.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I think you guys are going about this the wrong way. You're looking for technical solutions to something that is ultimately a disciplinary issue. You can eventually reach a point where you can box them in to where they can't do these sorts of things, but management becomes a pain and the functionality of the machines is hampered. Start out with handing lunch detentions out like candy and move on from there if the problem persists.
    This is true enough - however it needs major buy in from the SLT and proper policies in place.

I know many schools have a hard time achieving this, so being able to lock things down whilst trying to change attitudes to a sensible way of thinking is a good middle ground. Also stops screaming staff members

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    This is true enough - however it needs major buy in from the SLT and proper policies in place.

I know many schools have a hard time achieving this, so being able to lock things down whilst trying to change attitudes to a sensible way of thinking is a good middle ground. Also stops screaming staff members
    Agreed. Here it would be - why does the computer allow them to do this. Please fix.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

Yeah, I'll most certainly agree with this. Sometimes the overly complicated technical solution is in fact the easier approach than having to deal with humans.

Thank Post
    The little rascals!

You could always look in to using AppLocker in a Group Policy (in a GPO it's listed as Application Control Policies). There's a bit of work to do but that will most probably solve the issue for you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast