+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Context menu - Open File Location... Halp! in Technical; We have a custom written piece of behavior monitoring software shared from a shared drive. Staff require full write access ...
    Thank Post

Context menu - Open File Location... Halp!

We have a custom written piece of behavior monitoring software shared from a shared drive. Staff require full write access over this folder for it to work. Last night we had a child who managed to right-click on the desktop icon and click Open File Location and delete the data folder. Is there a way to remove the Open File Location entry from the context menu? Disabling the context menu is not an option as staff seem to have an emotional bond with it! We are looking into how the child gained access to the staff login unattended.

Its an hta based bit of software so i am thinking we could host it on our IIS server to completely work around the issue?

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Pretty sure there is no way to remove that option. The real issue here, as you are no doubt already aware, is the access to a staff logon. I'm sure if you have a think you'll be able to list a dozen much more damaging things the pupil could have done, so this should be your first priority.

After that, I suggest moving the data folder to a different location from the .exe, so that getting to the file location via the shortcut doesn't present as much opportunity for vandalism. It is also possible to set granular NTFS permissions to remove deletion rights while leaving write access intact.

Thank Post
    Thanks AngryTech, I have agreed with the person that built it that I will host it as an internal website rather than an HTA. Hopefully this wont happen again!

Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread