+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Audio Issue - Requesting Administrator Password in Technical; Afternoon all, Apologies if this issue has been raised on any other part of the forum. The problem we're having ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Audio Issue - Requesting Administrator Password

Afternoon all,

Apologies if this issue has been raised on any other part of the forum.

The problem we're having is on certain machines (not all) the volume mixer is muted when pupils log in. When the pupil tries to unmute it, it asks for the network administrator password. When entered, this resolves the issue, however this is beginning to become more frequent and I can't keep going from room to room unmuting the machines. I can't confirm whether the problem reoccurs on the same machine when a different student logs in after I've entered the admin password as I haven't kept a log of which machines have been having the issue. This doesn't happen on any of our XP machines. It also only seems to be happening since we've been using new USB headphones, although could that just be coincidence?

Could it be permission based?

I'm hoping that I'm just having one of those days and that this is something really obvious and/or a quick fix.

Please let me know if any of you have encountered this issue before and/or resolved it.

Thanks

Rogan

Thank Post
    Could be the USB headphones are changing settings for the default output device in control panel? At which point I would say permissions for doing that? But I'm guessing. By any chance are they Realtek sound cards? I ask because I've had issues before with those muting sound - I put a fix on here somewhere but I will need to go looking for it....

EDIT: Found it!!

Realtek HD Audio not detecting headphones intermittently
    Last edited by themightymrp; 16th May 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thank Post
    The USB headphones may have changed some settings, however this also occurs when just using standard headphones, however all of these machines will have at some point been used with the USB headsets, although that doesn't explain why it's only muted on certain machines.

It's onboard audio but it is a realtek driver yes.

Now funnily enough I've just tried logging in on one of the troublesome machines under network administrator and when trying to unmute it displays the "Trying to resolve issue" popup and then fails stating that "The audio device is unplugged". The headphones are actually plugged in, but I can't get any joy with it.

I'll take a look at your previous forum now.

Cheers mate

Thank Post
    Right...

I've tried the registry edit from your other post which has resolved the muting problem, however the machine is now defaulting to the Realtek audio output and I'm having to manually change it to the headphones which are listed as "USB VOiP headphones".

I've set this as default locally and I'll see whether it holds this information tomorrow when pupils log in.

Thanks for your help so far.

Thank Post
    I'm glad it's got you further along, maybe you can set the output via a GPO? Or perhaps allow students access to that area of the sound options so that they can change the output for themselves? Is there a particular application they are using that needs the sound? We have students who use Audacity and that allows them to change output settings from within the program..

Thank Post
    Yes we use Audacity as well but telling the teachers and students to use it to change settings is one thing and getting them to do it without supervision is another haha.

We've changed the permissions so students can now change the audio output settings but of course this isn't accessible if the mute problem is occurring.

I'm making it a priority for the half term to get into the IT suites that use the Realtek audio driver and changing the registry edit as you instructed and then at least the students can then change the audio output if they are having issues. Eventually they'll get the hang of it.

Thanks for your prompt help on the issue.

Thank Post
    No problemo You can push out that registry change via Group Policy Preferences - see attached screenshot

RealtekAudio.jpg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread