+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, IE10 proxy problem in Technical; I'll put it slightly differently. Google has released 15 new versions since IE 9 final was released. Mozilla Firefox has ...

Thank Post
    I'll put it slightly differently.

Google has released 15 new versions since IE 9 final was released. Mozilla Firefox has released 18 new versions. Not just point releases either, full releases.

And you want to continue to use a browser that was released March 2011. Just seems a bit backwards to me is all...
    Funny thing is my schools all only use Chrome but I have got to be careful not to install IE10 as the Chrome proxy settings are linked to the IE proxy settings.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    It's much easier just to keep IE9, I uninstalled 10 after I found out they removed the group policy.
    IEM isn't coming back (it's deprecated by Microsoft), so you are going to have to deal with the IE GPPs/GPOs at some point (unless you enjoy living in the past)?

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

Alis_Klar (21st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    We have done it with a 2012 Server, we have done this to staff only. But I would avoid IE10 to be honest, GPP IE settings is similar to GPP Printers, it will work 99% of the time, but not always.
    Really? I've been pulling my hair out with GPP printers being so flaky. I thought it was the POS environment I've inherited where AD was just a bit loopy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Its much easier just to keep IE9, I uninstalled 10 after I found out they removed the group policy.
    Likewise here! Until they sort out the preferences...

Thank Post
    Yep Himji that's GPP for you, I have spent hours trying to solve a GPP issue before, having the computer in a clean environment etc and it simply won't work 100% of the time, even Group Policy refreshes stop GPP from working. Technet is full of people who have the same problems, and this forum has a lot of people who went from printer scripts to GPP and then back again.

Thank Post
    Does IE10 still adhere to the same registry locations? If you need a proxy address then you could always edit:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings

ProxyServer
    ProxyOverride ""
    ProxyEnable 1

If you want to enable "automatic" for your WPAD or whatever then take a look at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\Connections\DefaultConnectionSettings
    its a binary value and 1000 should be enough to get you "enabled".

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigURL will get you your PAC address if you want to use that.

Those should work for you as a registry preference (assuming IE10 hasnt changed locations of course).

Incidentally, printer scripts worked for us in XP with GPP being flaky. W7 the opposite, the scripts are flaky (there should be NO reason why!) and GPP work nicely. I do what any insane admin would do in a mixed XP and W7 environment- BOTH! so what if it adds another 2 seconds....
    Last edited by KK20; 2nd May 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Just been told another reason not to go with ie10, Integris G2 doesnt work with it yet, prob aimed at primaries rather than high school

Thank Post
    I've never used GPP before this IE10 proxy issue. When googleing I found this brilliant Technet post which clears up a problem I was having with GPP applying. It involves pressing F5-F6-F7-F8 to make setting apply. Still have not tested with IE10 yet I downgraded until we run into Windows 8.

Red / Green: GP Preferences doesn

Question: If I only have the IE8 preferences showing on the machine I use to configure a proxy setting (GPMC machine) will these apply to IE10? As presumably they are backwards compatible and I only need the IE10 settings installed if I wish to configure a setting that was added by microsoft in IE10
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 21st May 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Alis

We have GPP doing our IE settings, and I know about the red/ green underlined thing. The issue is one that seems to be with all GPPs as oppose to GPOs, they just aren't guaranteed to work, they seem to work 99% of the time, which is annoying.

As for do you need to setup a GPP for each IE version, I think the answer is yes (we have), as all IE versions have slightly different preferences to choose, the difference between 9 and 10 is quite a a lot, not so noticeable with 8 and 9.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12