+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, 'Ordinary' Users Unable to Change Audio Volume in Technical; Hi, I'm new here. Please be kind It seems that some time since before Easter our pupils have no longer ...
    Thank Post

'Ordinary' Users Unable to Change Audio Volume

Hi,

I'm new here. Please be kind

It seems that some time since before Easter our pupils have no longer been able to change the volume settings in Windows 7 SP1. The icon appears in the system tray, but clicking on it garners no response whatsoever. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a Realtek, SoundMax or IDT, our restricted users just can't do anything. Staff and Admins are okay, although they do have access to Control Panel which the pupils don't, although this wasn't a problem in XP. It's a multipurpose (if slightly underprepared) sysprepped image that we just add the drivers back to afterwards, and works like a charm on any machine we put it on... until now...

Has anyone else come across this problem lately?

Regards,

Daryl

Thank Post
    This issue seems to have fixed itself, in a way. We were having another problem with QuickTime having taken over all the media plugins for IE9 so we re-jigged the user profiles to accept Windows Media Player as the default, and volume control is now functioning again. Still not sure how it broke in the first place though...

All just part of the great Windows 7 network deployment learning curve, I guess!

Thank Post
    I find that the media buttons on the keyboards still work. (get 400 new MM keyboards

EDIT: From the old days! http://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm Still works and has other handy uses. You can make shortcuts to set the volume of the PC or place it in the startup to unmute and set volume at 100%.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 19th April 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    400? If only...

Nah, we're cheapskates - bog standard Dell keyboards, no extraneous buttons for the kids to play with!

Thank Post
    To prevent me making a double edit: I just learnt the value of psexec for running remote processes. You could setup a list that could turn the sound up down for a whole suite.

(Maybe I'm new to psexec but wizmo in a shared location run with args against a PC list.)

Thank Post
    Don't know if it's of any use, but here we have the notification area hidden for all non-laptop users, which means that they cannot see the sound icon to adjust it anyway.

To get round this, we put a shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe" on the Start Menu, which opens up the Volume Mixer with volumes etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post
    To get round this, we put a shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe" on the Start Menu, which opens up the Volume Mixer with volumes etc.
    It's not something we tried, but thanks for the suggestion. We kind of assumed that the Volume Mixer was running, as it was showing up in the system tray, but just wouldn't do anything for the kids. All we've got to do now is kill Quicktime without uninstalling it, which it would appear isn't as easy as it sounds!

Thank Post
    Glad to see it fixed itself for you, what we did was make a shortcut to the sounds section in control panel to people could change it through that

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread