+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Driverpack problem in Technical; I use SAD2 to install drivers via a universal image for Windows 7 64bit but I'm having issues. I have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

Driverpack problem

I use SAD2 to install drivers via a universal image for Windows 7 64bit but I'm having issues.

I have my image, and that works as expected, but I have an issue with a couple of devices and their drivers.

The problematic machine is an HP ProBook 6570b, and it refuses to install drivers for its USB3.0 root hub, for the 3D Drive Guard and for the Validity fingerprint sensor.

I have created a custom driver pack, which SAD2 is successfully installing the Broadcom Bluetooth driver from. But it ignores the other 3 drivers. However, if I go into device manager, and point the device at a folder containing the same contents as that USB3 folder in the driver pack, it installs!

So, can anyone give any insight into what on Earth is going on?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Using MDT? Have you tried just dumping all the drivers into the repository, if they work it should install them. I think you can also provide a driver searchpath in the WDS sysprep stuff that you could point to a network share.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, I use Fog.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nope, I use Fog.
    Oh, manually it is then. The bit about the driver search path is still valid just not sure how to set it all manually without any of the advanced tools like DSIM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's what the SAD2 script does, it uses a directory with driverpacks in it, in 7z format, unzips them, and then uses DPInst to go through them all to see if any fit the devices that are on the machine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's what the SAD2 script does, it uses a directory with driverpacks in it, in 7z format, unzips them, and then uses DPInst to go through them all to see if any fit the devices that are on the machine.
    What stage of the process does it do it in though, could it be being blocked by something else running at the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It does it on first reboot after the normal setup has finished. All other drivers install fine this way, on a bunch of different machines. Just not these few drivers on this specific machine.

Once it finishes this script, it reboots again, and the Fog client does its bit - renames and reboots the machine, joining it to the domain.

Thank Post
    There are issues with USB 3 driver installs using wds as well, it seems to be beacause the driver installs in two stages, the way we got round it was to inject the driver into the WIM image rather than deploying it as a driver pack using DISM Gui.

Windows 7 WDS Deployment - USB 3.0 Driver Package Won't Install

Thank Post
    You could install the driver as a FOG snap-in, using the silent install switch on the original installer. Or investigate the HP System Software Manager which looks like you are meant to hook it into your deployment somewhere to silently install all of the drivers you need.
    The Admin Nexus: Installing HP Driver Packages and Software During a Task Sequence With HP System Software Manager

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    You could install the driver as a FOG snap-in, using the silent install switch on the original installer. Or investigate the HP System Software Manager which looks like you are meant to hook it into your deployment somewhere to silently install all of the drivers you need.
    The Admin Nexus: Installing HP Driver Packages and Software During a Task Sequence With HP System Software Manager
    I think I will be looking at the FOG snap-in route - keep it all centred around a 'universal' approach, rather than using system specific software.

Thank Post
    I used to use the snap-ins to do some audio drivers on XP, but had to bundle them inside a 7zip self extractor to make sure that the FOG client wouldn't continue with the next snap-in or a reboot. Some silent installers just launch another process and then quit, but the self extractor will wait to clean-up after itself.

This is pretty handy too:
    Unattended, A Windows deployment system: Unattended/Silent Installation Switches for Windows Apps

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

A little help required please. When my machine reboots and runs the DP_install_tool.cmd it runs through all the drivers but does not install the drivers from the driver packs. I know the correct drivers are in there as I have pointed to them manually before and it's picked them up fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thank Post
    You could try recursively deleting NTFS streams within your driver folder, just in-case access is being blocked.
    Code:
    streams -s -d directory
    Streams

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread