+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, users can download and install google chrome in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK But it is against the way Windows was intended to handle such things, it behaves like ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    But it is against the way Windows was intended to handle such things, it behaves like malware and why should Windows be Linux. For the environment it is targeted at it is skirting the rules and the mere fact they targeted it to get around the wishes of the organsations that own the computers in the first place is a tad less than ethical.
    Its for home users. There's an MSI and group policy for organisations

Block the whole temp folder (for limited users), it is a security risk anyway as it is where half of the malware nests.
    That would be against how windows is intended to handle things.

Thank Post
    Rename to MyCoolNotAWebBrowser.exe and run, done. Block the whole temp folder (for limited users), it is a security risk anyway as it is where half of the malware nests.

Not with a hash policy - you can name it anything you want - but it wont change the hash value, so will still be blocked!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That would be against how windows is intended to handle things.
    But nessisary for limited users when programs blatently abuse the privilage, just restoring the natural order and making sure that users don't stuff their profiles full of malware and cack then come complaining that they can't use CoolSmileyFaceBrowserX to do their rolls and complaining that their email has been hacked.

If the goal is to have a standard working system that people can actually use to get their work done you want to exert at least some control. If you just want to provide your users with whatever baubels they can be tricked into installing then that is your perogative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Not with a hash policy - you can name it anything you want - but it wont change the hash value, so will still be blocked!
    As above chrome updates every few days so the hash will change each time, you'll spend your whole life chasing file hashes for their latest capitilisation or logo change.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 22nd March 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    not had problem with updates - though it is supposed to update automatically.
    It does work with impero - on workstation settings on groups - take tick out of only filter internet explorer traffic.

5. Thanks to maark from:

timbo343 (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Im not sure impero works with it? @russdev

We tried blocking the internet with impero as a group and they could still access the net.

I personally think they are looking at trying to get around our filtering. I have also blocked dl.google.com for users too.
    Impero will work with chrome have to in group settings turn offf Filter Only Internet Explorer.

Russ

7. Thanks to russdev from:

timbo343 (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    What you can do is hire me or my company. http://www.nutechanswers.com/

Thank Post
    Setting the SRP to white list and allow things like %program files% and %windir% only, blocking everything else will do what you want. This will block anything in their profiles, flash drives, and temp folders. This way your not chasing a hash or wondering if the user renamed it.

We are a Google apps school so chrome is recommended. I push out the MSI and use the adm files to set the homepage and block automatic updates.

All these settings have worked well for me.

Thank Post
    We have installed the network MSI version, for everyone to use.

Don't worry about it they can't use it to bypass any web filtering, as it uses IE proxy.

Thank Post
    We set up a software restriction policy to prevent any executable running from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\ so even if they do manage to install Chrome, they cannot run it.

We do have the networked version already installed on our image with gpos controlling some parts of it, so I am not too sure why some of users try to download it again!

Thank Post
    I dislike Google Chrome for this, I have been trying for a while to stop Students from installing other Browsers..

I have added all the executables like Chrome.exe to the 'Don't run specified Applications' GPO.. This works most of the time unless they rename it..

Now we have quick computers with Windows 7 and IE9 in the majority of the school, students don't bother as much to install 'quicker' browsers. Plus everything we have in school like OWA and Frog etc is designed to run on Internet Explorer so this puts them off too.

It still really annoys me when they install any software that isn't something we put on and I don't want to install alternative browsers on the computers because it conflicts with IE and causes problems (I've tried).

Grrr.

Thank Post
    You guys are hardcore, who cares what browser they use? I for one love Chrome, far better and faster than IE. We have to run IE, Firefox and Chrome due to all the compatibility issues with websites these days. Some work better in IE some Chrome.. Google has a Chrome for business download and you can configure the master preferences file to make it do what you want.

Thank Post
    We don't currently install Google Chrome as it is not compatible with all sites (such as Frog VLE). Therefore to aid the calls to our office we'd rather not install it until FrogOS comes out.

To stop the installation of Chrome Frame we use the Google Update GPO template, which I have attached:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12