+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Microsoft releases massive Slow Boot / Slow Login Hotfix Rollup (KB2775511) in Technical; Originally Posted by jeffstokesmsft Oh I see. Yeah this is a rollup from Microsoft, we tested it pretty thoroughly so ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffstokesmsft View Post
    Oh I see. Yeah this is a rollup from Microsoft, we tested it pretty thoroughly so hopefully ISVs and software providers will do the same. It should help things out across enterprise environments really.
    Do we know if it has any issues with TMG, Exchange or SQL Server? I have a vague recollection that some of the interim LDR updates to the tcpip stack didn't always play nice with TMG...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Will look at the drivers issue but could be a deal breaker as I have no time to update drivers on every machine.
    I'm sure I grabbed the right version and I did the windows update bit before I tried to install it but I will look again.
    You might be able to get some support in the MS Technet forums.. let them know you saw a performance drop, and post two xperf traces of before and after.

Getting xperf and capturing a trace is dead easy. Slow Boot Slow Logon (SBSL), A Tool Called XPerf and Links You Need To Read - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    The hard part is learning how to do the analysis. If you are lucky someone who knows what they are doing might analyse it for you and identify the choke point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    What settings are those? I only ask because I'm still having some very random issues of proxy settings not applying correctly on wireless devices.
    yes it was proxy settings as some kids couldnt get on internet randomly.. also had a few registry setting sin preferences which changed size of icons on desktop that never worked but suddenly did after the patch.

4. Thanks to victory2012 from:

Duke5A (21st March 2013)

Thank Post

You could also do this

Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    You might be able to get some support in the MS Technet forums.. let them know you saw a performance drop, and post two xperf traces of before and after.

Getting xperf and capturing a trace is dead easy. Slow Boot Slow Logon (SBSL), A Tool Called XPerf and Links You Need To Read - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    The hard part is learning how to do the analysis. If you are lucky someone who knows what they are doing might analyse it for you and identify the choke point.
    How to collect a good boot trace on Windows 7 - Dude where's my PFE? - Site Home - TechNet Blogs. I'm happy to look at a before/after or help. My contact information is on the blog.

Thank Post
    Great question. I'd test my environment to validate it. An idea may be to patch the endpoints to get the update and see the WMI and operational health benefits immediately, then you can update the back end infrastructure later perhaps after testing has been done.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffstokesmsft View Post
    I'm happy to look at a before/after or help. My contact information is on the blog.
    :-) thanks. For me things are mostly going well, I've got many of the earlier wmi, user profile, csc and tcpip hotfixes on my user's machines.

We do still see CSC related TMP files getting orphaned on the fileserver on a daily basis. I'll see whether the frequency is reduced after the update.

I'll also hold fire on TMG etc. While I do have the tools to actually test against a snapshot of my production environment (VEEAM rocks) I don't have it configured quite right

Thank Post
    Could you share those settings as I need those but could not find where to set it. Look slike I may have to keep an eye on this update progerss for it to work though!

Thank Post
    So has this sped up logins for people?

Thank Post
    Not for us. Our DCs are only 2003.

Thank Post
    ok,
    So I install this rollup on the W7 clients and 2008R2 servers and then have to configure the registry settings correct?

The registry keys for these hotfixes are not configured by the enterprise hotfix rollup installer. Therefore, these hotfixes are not enabled by default after you install the hotfix rollup. To enable these two hotfixes, there are two options:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    You only need to tweak registry settings to enable certain features, but I don't believe they were required (top of my head).

13. Thanks to Michael from:

jamin100 (17th April 2013)

Thank Post
    cool, so has it made any difference to login times?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Difficult to say really. Logon speeds in the networks I setup are pretty decent anyway. I think the switches you have installed make a big difference, but it's nice to know Microsoft have officially addressed issues identified in some networks. I'd still recommend installing it on workstations and servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Only 2008 R2 and Windows 7.
    Will it work on Small Business Server?

Thank Post
    So... if we have server 2012 DCs do we just install the hot fix on the workstations? Is there a 2012 version for the DCs?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast