+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Very Strange Windows 7 Audio issue in Technical; Hi; This is a very strange problem that plagued our students 1) When logging on to Windows 7 Enterprise machine, ...

Thank Post

Very Strange Windows 7 Audio issue

Hi;

This is a very strange problem that plagued our students

1) When logging on to Windows 7 Enterprise machine, the volume is muted and when student clicks to unmute on the volume bar, it flicks straight to mute again
    2) If logged on as Administrator, volume is muted but a click to unmute then sound is restored, next time on login however as administrator, sound is muted again (but unmute restores sounds again)
    3) I have also tried removing the soundcard driver and reinstalling(it's a realtek HD Audio on ASUS mobo with Nivida chipset)
    4) Switch off various settings on Sound control panel (take out application exclusive access, dsable all enchancments etc)

further testing though showed that

Our 2010 year group student has this problem
    Other year groups do not (they log on muted, but student can unmute manually)
    I try a 2010 year group test student on different PCs and have this mute problem (again if I log on with a different year group on those PC it works fine)

All students are using Local Profiles, I have also logged problems students on a clean PC (where they have not logged in before)

I have googled and as far as I know GPOs do not have a restrict mute setting, and no settings should be following these students around?

The only other thing is these year group studentd have used App inventer, but I don't think that would have effected this.

any advice will be welcome

Thanks as always.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Do you have Impero? There's a policy that can be set on this to mute audio/adjust sound levels.

Cheers,

Rob

3. Thanks to robknowles from:

MrWu (4th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Yes I run Impero, I will take a look to see if I could unmute the sound from there or check if a policy was set

Strange though it only does it on a certain year group, but all PCs I have tried have Impero installed..so might be a pattern to troubleshoot there...

I have nearly discounted the GPO/OU issue since I moved a student late this afternoon to a working year group OU and no joy. So definitey check the Impero side, thanks for this. :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWu View Post
    Yes I run Impero, I will take a look to see if I could unmute the sound from there or check if a policy was set

Strange though it only does it on a certain year group, but all PCs I have tried have Impero installed..so might be a pattern to troubleshoot there...

I have nearly discounted the GPO/OU issue since I moved a student late this afternoon to a working year group OU and no joy. So definitey check the Impero side, thanks for this. :-)
    Hi

Just wanted to follow up and see if you got this sorted. Let me know if need any help on the Impero side etc.

Russ

6. Thanks to russdev from:

MrWu (11th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Hi

Just wanted to follow up and see if you got this sorted. Let me know if need any help on the Impero side etc.

Russ
    Hi Russ;

All sorted thank you, it was the mute that was activated by a teacher which followed the students around.

8. Thanks to MrWu from:

russdev (11th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool as long as sorted.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread