+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Shared drive only showing 3 folders (Random) in Technical; I have got an odd issue which only seems to be affecting one Windows 7 Laptop. Sometimes when they access ...

Thank Post

Shared drive only showing 3 folders (Random)

I have got an odd issue which only seems to be affecting one Windows 7 Laptop.

Sometimes when they access the Staff Share (T:\) on the network only 3 folders are showing.

I have only seen it happen once (although have been told is happening often but random), and when I did I went to start, run and:
    \\server\staff
    Where server is the server name and staff is the name of the staff share and all folders and files appeared. I went back to the T:\ drive in explorer and pressed F5 and then everything appeared.

All shares and permissions seem fine. My only thought is the dodgy old wireless they are using could be causing this issue, but only one user/laptop seems affected.

The staff share is setup by using a netlogon script which contains:
    net use t: /delete
    net use t: \\server\staff

I am also wondering if it is something to do with this. The reason I have done this is supply staff do not have full access to the T: drive, but only a folder inside it. The have a different netlogon script which connects to:
    net use t: \\server\planning

And I noticed problems where this was not connecting properly unless I first sent to net use t: /delete command.

If anyone has come across anything like this before, it would be useful to have some more thoughts on this.

Thank Post
    Is offline files/sync center enabled on the laptop? 3 folders would seem to suggest that some are being cached locally. Look for the folder status which should show online, or possibly offline or offline (slow connection) or something like that.

Thank Post
    I am sharing the N:\ drive via offline files (users personal saved files) but not the T:\ drive which is a pretty big shared staff drive that I don't want users to have offline access to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    I am sharing the N:\ drive via offline files (users personal saved files) but not the T:\ drive which is a pretty big shared staff drive that I don't want users to have offline access to.
    Unless you have turned off auto offline sync it may be doing it automagiclly for you.

Thank Post
    Its all being controlled by AD Group Policy. Is there a policy setting for that please, so I can double check it.

Thank Post
    I now know the cause - but not the solution. Yes offline files had somehow been set up for three folders on the T:\ drive even though users should not be able to do this.

I had set up a user called Supply for Supply staff and the schools only wants the supply staff to have access to the planning folder of the staff shared drive.

Only easy way I could see of doing this without creating a gpo for one user is to set Deny permissions to the supply user on the staff share (T:\ drive) and Allow supply user access to the planning folder inside that. Supply staff have a different log on script to it maps T:\ straight to T:\Staff Share\Planning otherwise they would get an access denied error which is what is now happening.

If I log on as any user (even admin) and go to \\servername\Staff Shared I get an "You do not have permission to access warning". Someone logged on as the supply user on the laptop and it has somehow screwed things up. Even as an admin user it is seeing the supply user somewhere and still denying access to the share. I can't work out how to fix this and really dont want to fully rebuild the laptop. Not sure if anyone has any ideas please?

Thank Post
    1) Change the permission on the drive back to what they were before

2) Use Group Policy Preferences to manage the mapping of the T: drive. You can specify boolean rules which I would set like this:

Map T: to \\server\share for staff AND USER IS NOT 'supply'
    Map T: to \\server\share\planning for USER = 'supply'

3) Reset the offline files cache database on the laptop. To do that, open regedit and go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CSC\Paramet ers
    Create a new DWord with a value name of FormatDatabase and give it a value of 1. Now reboot the laptop. This should clear out any cached shares/drives and will also remove that registry value again once it reboots

8. Thanks to themightymrp from:

CommodoreS (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help and info. As a temporary fix at the time I created another share for the T:\ drive called Staff2 and updated the netlogon script to point to staff2 and then the laptop could access all files on the T: drive again (despite both shares having exactly the same permissions).

After reading your post, just to confirm that option C seems to have fixed it. It looks like something got messed up in the offline cache (still think something relating to the supply user) which affected this. I have also now tidied up shares and permissions to take things back to what they should be and how they were.

Just came across a similar problem on a XP machine, but the registry key for XP is different. If anyone is searching this it is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\NetCache

Key Name: FormatDatabase
    Key Type: DWORD
    Key Value: 1

10. Thanks to CommodoreS from:

themightymrp (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Worth knowing Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread