ive set a group policy for our users computers to delete roming profile upon logoff around school.
it does delete untill they restart their computers and it comes back with there roaming profile with the following
c:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InputPer sonalization\TextHarvester\ and a dat file called "TextHarvester.dat" is left behind.
this now causes the user to have a second local roming profile created with the .001 extension everytime they login
ive done some home work on the internet and seen some people blame it on the "TabletInputService" ive disabled this service in a group policy preference. it seemed to have worked at first then the problem comeback
some people on another forum think its down to the "Windows Search" Service. and theres no way im disabling that as our users need it!!!
im ripping my hair out.
im running a windows server 2008 r2 domain with windows 7 professional x64 clients around school
has anyone actually resolved this problem as i am seeing different results on various forums!
I've been having this issue on some new windows 7 ent laptops recently. After some research I came to the same conclusion as you with the TabletInputService but as you have too, found it wasn't. This issue is to do with Windows Search Service getting corrupt. By default the Windows Search Service doesn't index the AppData folder, I've found that it gets corrupt (I have some idea to how it's getting corrupt for us) and starts to index that folder. It's an easy fix, though perhaps time consuming if you've got alot of machines doing this:
Go to "Turn Windows Features on or off" from Programs and Features in the control panel. Untick the Windows Search feature and press ok.
Delete the profiles you are having issues with.
Repeat the process but re-tick Windows Search to reinstall the feature.
Perhaps slightly unrelated but we came across this with when setting up new laptops for our staff. I've seen this happen alot when you add a domain account as a local admin before you've let the account login and cache. For our laptop users we give them local admin rights. We ran into this problem when someone in our office started to add their permissions before caching the account.
Last edited by neilherbertuk; 16th December 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Just to dig this up again. I've been struggling with the profiles, the same as these guys. Problems with the textharvest.dat file which i think is linked to the Smart boards, as it is only these machines in our place which are affected.
The fix has fixed my problem with corrupt profiles.